A Conversation for Sheffield, South Yorkshire, UK

Steel City!

Post 1

Pinniped


Hey, you've written it! Someone was always going to. And not at all a bad job either. Well done!

Appreciate you putting United before Wednesday (not merely an alphabetical convention, as you no doubt realise)

Is there really a Meersbrook worth calling a river? If so, where is it???

Never really noticed the dearth of chippies. What about the Admirals? (seven at the last count - though they are a bit peripheral/east-sided, I guess)

It says in your Space that you don't like townies. Isn't this a townie place? Definitively townie, if you ask me. Not that I have a problem with that. I've never known anything else.

Maybe we need a Sheffield Researchers' Cabal, or something? There seem to be a few around, including moderately-venerable ones (eg Greydesk)

Anyway, it's a great city, and more people should appreciate it. Well done again!

smiley - cheers <-- This is Wards, much lamented...

P.

(There's a better version of the steelmaking piece. Those Editor-Guys posted the wrong one. See my Space for the links to the real one, if you're interested)


Steel City!

Post 2

pathetical, formerly "madmaz- zaphodista, marshmallow minister, vegetarian and torturer (among other things)..."

Glad you liked it! Can't write too much now, but I read in a book somewhere that Sheffield was built on those rivers. I've only seen four of them... There is a definite dearth of chippies compared to, say, a place on the south coast. And, like, London and that. and a surprising number of kebab shops. But saying that, since I wrote the article I keep coming across new chip shops, trying to prove me wrong.

It depends on your definition of townie as to whether or not Sheffield is a townie place. But, yeah. I guess it is. smiley - sadface Nobody told me before I came smiley - wah.

... Besides, I think _hate_ is a little too strong a word. *looks over shoulder worriedly*. Townies are very nice in their own way, I'm sure.

Anyway, I'd better go. Pizza beckons...

Madmazsmiley - erm


Steel City!

Post 3

GreyDesk

Nice entrysmiley - smiley Certainly covers the key points about the city, and leaves one wanting to look for more. Well Done! smiley - bubblysmiley - cake & smiley - ale


"Moderately venerable" smiley - wow I've never been called that before! Obviously the promotion from the italics must have come through smiley - smiley

Off the top of my head I can think of about 8 or 9 researchers with a link to Sheffield. There might be more if I started doing some digging. If I have time I might set up a Sheffield "homepage" - not too sure what we would do with it once it was created, but it could be a bit of fun.

Sheffield United? Well why not check out my very silly page of Blades songs and chants (A665336) created for a laugh and to teach me a bit of GuideML.


Steel City!

Post 4

Sho - employed again!

I've only just found this entry... I'm a Sheffield girl in Exile. smiley - sadface

And I've just realised that there isn't much Sheffield history in this entry, wasn't Mary Queen of Scots held there overnight on her way to her execution or something?

And no mention of those lovely white busses...

but on the whole, a fab entry for a fab place. And I'm homesick now

smiley - cheers (that would be a pint of Stones for me please)


Steel City!

Post 5

GreyDesk

Um, I don't think the buses are white anymore smiley - erm


Steel City!

Post 6

Pinniped

Michael Tonge...Michael Tonge...Michael To-on-gggge smiley - musicalnote


Steel City!

Post 7

GreyDesk

Ee's a Blade 'n' ee's a Blade, nah nah nah nah... smiley - musicalnote


Steel City!

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

no, unfortunately the buses haven't been white for ages (I was shocked that the 4 to Shiregreen from Fitzallen Square has gone... I'm totally confused these days)

but it was fun going up on the train from London with my mum and brother to visit her folks. The first one to spot a white bus got a polo mint.

Speaking of holes (sort of) I'vejust realised that this entry doesn't cover the hole in the road. It probably merits a mention of it's own. (does anyone know what happened to the fish? I worry about them sometimes)

oh and I'm an Owl, so you can all stop that horrible singing now.
smiley - ok


Steel City!

Post 9

GreyDesk

smiley - musicalnote If I had the wings of a sparrow...
No no stop it now, behave boysmiley - blush

I wondered about the fish as well smiley - erm


Steel City!

Post 10

Pinniped


Oh yeah, the fish...
I'd completely forgotten about them. Do you think they just got buried down there?

Oh yeah, the Owls...
I'd completely forgotten about them. Do you think they just got buried down there?


Steel City!

Post 11

GreyDesk

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh


Steel City!

Post 12

Sho - employed again!

Har flamin' har!!
at least we have the knowledge that the Owls were the first club in England. (or at least I think that's what the bloke on the tv said, it might have been "worst")

There used to be a little shop near the fish that sold RockApples. Anyone remember them? And the boiled-sweet-fish from the castle market. (sheesh, I miss those markets)


Steel City!

Post 13

Pinniped


Oldest existing football club in England (the world?) is indeed in Sheffield, but it's not directly connected with either the Blades or the Pigs : it's Hallam FC. Wednesday weren't even original members of the Football League, only being formed in the following year. 1867, I reckon, but I'm not going to go check, for fear of being accused of an unnatural interest in the Dead.

Rock apples? You got me there, Sho, but the boiled-sweet-fish, yeah, I think I remember them...Mmmm...

But back to the vitally important subject of the Hillsborough extinction event. Look, the Lane is quite a small ground. We are simply not going to be able to absorb an influx of socially-dysfunctional asylum-seekers when the inevitable Economic Collapse of Pigdom ensues. We don't want them. The Government must do something - I propose that they should all be housed in Barnsley, who haven't got a football team either. Sheffield simply cannot have these displaced delinquents wandering around the place once they've nothing to do of a Saturday afternoon.

Go on, GreyDesk, tell us a Houllier joke...

Pin * still singing smiley - musicalnote *


Steel City!

Post 14

Sho - employed again!

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the history of footie, because I can't now remember where I read that... but the Owls aren't dead. They're just resting....


Steel City!

Post 15

Pinniped


Norwegian Blue..?

Oh, I know...you're thinking of a mythical Norseman called Tronk Sad-vet, or something like that. No, he hasn't been heard of for ages either, sorry.

Now that I come to think of it, that name rings a vague bell. I think he might have had a sex-change operation and taken up as a TV vetenarian, if that helps.

Anyway, since you're obviously a nice (though deeply misguided) person, I can offer a truce (or should that be a Trude?) No more mention of moribund football clubs. Or even ofvibrant, triumphant, red-and-white ones.

Shut up, Pin...

Yeah, Mary Queen of Scots. The Manor. The Turret House. She did, yeah, that's right. A guy I once worked with was an ancestor of her jailor, only he now works in Kokomo, Indiana. The colleague, not the jailor. That'll teach him. Not at all a nice place.

So, what are Rock Apples, anyway?

Pinsmiley - smiley


Steel City!

Post 16

Sho - employed again!

Rock apples were like rock (as in sticks of) which were shaped like slightly flattened spheres. They were sold on sticks, and were probably horrendously bad for the teeth.

And while we're talking about my favourite city: does anyone else buy their parkin at Lily's down by the Basset's factory?


Key: Complain about this post