A Conversation for The Life and Works of JRR Tolkien

Roverandom?

Post 1

superjoejr

In the back of a Harper Collins edition of The Fellowship of the Ring, there is a mention of a book called Roverandom. The discription in the back say:

Roverandom by JRR Tolkien edited by Christina Scull & Wayne G. Hammond.

While on holiday in 1925 four-year-old Michael Tolkien lost his beloved toy dog on the beach. To console him, his father, JRR Tolkien, improvised a story about Rover, a real dog who is magically transformed into a toy and is forced to seek out the wizard who wronged him to return him to normal.

This charming tale, peopled by a sand-sorcerer and a terrible dragon, by the king of the sea and the Man-in-the-Moon, went through several drafts over the years. Now more than 70 years on, the adventures of Rover - or, for reasons that become clear in the story, "Roverandom" - are published for the first time. Rich in wit and wordplay, Roverandom is edited and introduced by Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond and includes Tolkien's own delightful illustrations.

"This is an old-fashoned story, yet it still speaks freshly today ... would leap to life when read aloud to a child"

Has anyone ever read this? Or know anything about it?


Roverandom?

Post 2

Evil Zombie Strider

I've read it, actually (although I hadn't when I wrote this entry).

It's a great story, mostly just fun fantasy stuff. Reminds me of the five children and it (E Nesbit).

smiley - footprints


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more