A Conversation for The SETI@Home Project

The SETI project and Nasa:Waste of time or not?

Post 1

Aries (ACE + Badger)

Is Nasa and the SETI project actually going to find anything or is it a waste of time and money? Who knows anyone who works for NASA. I would like some info on what they do there. Does life exist elsewhere in this universe? I think answers are needed ASAP.


The SETI project and Nasa:Waste of time or not?

Post 2

Danny B

Hi Aries smiley - smiley

You might get more response to your question smiley - aliensmile if you post it at AskH2G2 (A148907)!

Danny B.


Thread Moved

Post 3

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community' to 'The SETI@Home Project'.

I've actually moved the thread to the pertinent entry. smiley - smiley

Mina


Thread Moved

Post 4

Danny B

Even better! smiley - cheers


SETI

Post 5

Oh_sigh00

If you're wondering what they do at SETI, it' pretty simple.
The majority of work is done by radio telescopes that scan the wavebands of the Universe for anything unusual. Other work is done through surveys at the site of a UFO sighting also scans for radiation, strange energy sources, and debris.
But sadly yes, SETI is wasting its time. Earth is far too primitive to be truly noticed by a highly evolved species capable of interstellar travel.


SETI

Post 6

finnjim, THE Teacher, messing with peoples minds since 1997

Unless we are the a control experiment to see what would happen without outside interference. and all the sightings are mearly intergalactic joyriders.

I'm not being scarastic but mearly laying out a possibility. There are accidents and some of the sightings could be accidental or an experiment to see what the reaction of a race unsure of their place in the universe would be. Anyway we have enough problems understanding other people on our own planet what hope do we have in understanding a completly different species possibly/probably more advanced than us


SETI

Post 7

Raukodraug - Keeper of the Fullmoon Smiley [(2*(-1)+8-0)*(3+4)=42]

Your statement that Earth is too primitive reminds me of Mr. Idle's line, "And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

I would like to think that if a race evolved to the point of interstellar travel it would be seeking knowledge and not war. And if a race is seeking knowledge then it might be looking for people with a similar desire. By searching for radio waves we are at least involved in the search for knowledge. That may at least make us look less primitive and war-like to those observing from outside (though with the actions my nation has taken of late I sadly doubt it).

Raukodraug
smiley - fullmoon


SETI

Post 8

finnjim, THE Teacher, messing with peoples minds since 1997

But if you take our planet the majority of advances in science and technology are as a result of war rather than in spite of it.


The SETI project and Nasa:Waste of time or not?

Post 9

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

If the seti project is a waste of time, then it's my favourite waste of time.

Aren't most hobbies doing something you enjoy to pass the time?

I've enjoyed crunching units and having interesting conversations with other crunchers.

If I was the one who found a signal from an extra-terrestrial civilization it'd be the icing on the smiley - cake but I don't consider the last 3 years a waste of time.
Besides it's much more than just searching the skies. It's the first global event that mankind has taken part in as a race.
Check what I wrote on my seti profile:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?cmd=view_feedback&id=32364
What else would you rather be doing, Aries?

smiley - flyhiAGBsmiley - thepost
smiley - peacedovesmiley - peacesign


The SETI project and Nasa:Waste of time or not?

Post 10

finnjim, THE Teacher, messing with peoples minds since 1997

I think the line from the movie contack sums up how i feel about it and apologies if mis quoted

" Space is big and if there is no other life in the universe then its an awful waste of space"

Just think about the numbers involved. Are we that self centered to really believe that we're it. there's nothing else.


Key: Complain about this post