A Conversation for Faust of Fact and Fiction

The Master and Margarita

Post 1

CopyMaster

I could go off on this subject for ages, having written my B.A. thesis on the evolution of the Faust legend. But I won't -- I'll just recommend the best of the books I wrote about in the thesis: "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov. It was written in Stalinist Moscow and is a brilliant satire of the Soviet Union in the 1930s and 40s.

In many ways, this novel is the perfect inversion of the Faustian paradigm. It is set in an atheistic society in which the very idea of selling one's soul to the devil would be absurd, because there IS no devil.

So what happens? Instead of man going to the devil, the devil comes to man. Hilarity ensues. This is one of the most insightful books you'll ever read, and also one of the funniest. So insightful that it was banned in the USSR for decades, and so funny I was nearly thrown off a bus while reading it.


The Master and Margarita

Post 2

Loobylane (Owlatron's thundercats) - Nothing ever burns down by itself; every fire needs a little bit of help.

I have always been interested in this subject but no one seemed able to recommend where to start. Thanks for the suggestion.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Faust of Fact and Fiction

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more