A Conversation for Doppler Effect in Reference to Stars

misleading

Post 1

Astronomer

The Doppler-Fizeau shift to red observed in galaxies is integral part of both theories, Steady-State and Big Bang. The crytical phenomena was the Microwave Cosmic Background.
The steady state cosmology says that new matter is created to replace the galaxies that expand faster than lightspeed.
Marcelo Allen


misleading

Post 2

Tango

That's a very good point. I'll see if John can change it.

Thanks,

Tango


misleading

Post 3

johninf

Have you heard of the Shapiro effect?
Its an effect which slows down light in gravity, thus red shifting
the light.
The red shift due to expansiln is misleading.
John


misleading

Post 4

johninf

Heres
a good book which has little big bangs.

Astrophysics, abstract
astro-ph/0108051
From: John A. Tomsick [view email]
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 23:18:49 GMT (12kb)

Quasi-Steady State Cosmology
Authors: G. Burbidge (UCSD)
Comments: 14 pages, in Proceedings of Frontiers of the Universe Conference, 17-23 June 2001, in press

A brief historical account of modern cosmology shows that the standard big bang (BB) model, believed by so many, does not have the strong observational foundations that are frequently claimed for it. The theory of the Quasi-Steady State Cosmology (QSSC) and explosive cosmogony is outlined. Comparisons are made between the two theories in explaining the observed properties of the universe, namely, the expansion, chemical composition, CMB, QSO redshifts and explosive events, galaxy formation, and the m-z and theta-z relations. Only two of the observed properties have ever been predicted from the theories (a) the expansion predicted from Einstein's theory by Friedmann and Lemaitre, and (b) the acceleration predicted by the classical steady state theory and the QSSC.
Full-text: PostScript, PDF, or Other formats


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Doppler Effect in Reference to Stars

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more