A Conversation for The Causes of the English Civil War

100 percent tax

Post 1

Sea Change

I am not understanding part of this.

If you are an Englishman, and a Scotsman rebels and marches over your land, does he then take this land or does it remain yours? Does he take all the goods from your land to aid his rebellion, or is he full of nicety? If he is Protestant, like you, does this rapine please you better? Was the King's 'ship tax' sufficiently high to seem like an equal theft?


100 percent tax

Post 2

HappyDude

"Was the King's 'ship tax' sufficiently high to seem like an equal theft?"

Nobody likes being taxed, people are taxed with there own consent (with tax being set by officials they have elected). The people objected to the imposition of ship tax when Charles expanded its scope without the consent of elected officials i.e. without the consent of the taxed.


100 percent tax

Post 3

Sea Change

If a rebel takes your land, did you consent to this tax?


100 percent tax

Post 4

HappyDude

there is an argument that such a thing would be theft not tax


100 percent tax

Post 5

Sea Change

Did the King's government promise to protect its subjects from theft? Did they not ask for help? Was the king unable to provide it?


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Causes of the English Civil War

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more