A Conversation for How to Be a Successful Tourist

Blending in ...

Post 1

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

If you want to blend in, it's very important that you are able to speak the language.

Try to find out what the locals wear, but do not exaggerate. If you see someone walking around in Germany (esp. Bavaria) with those fancy leather shorts, you can almost be sure that it's a tourist.

I live in a part of Bavaria that is rather busy with tourists. Sometimes it's really annoying if you're in a hurry and a load of tourists blocks your path.

So: Don't block the path for someone who seems to be in a hurry. Some people have to earn their living exactly where you are spending your holidays. If you block their path they will start to examine you for 'tourist marks'. If you succeed in impersonating a fellow resident, they may not see you at all.

If you have to carry a bag, try to find out what kinds of bags are used by the locals. I have found out that it's an excellent choice to carry your camera in a plastic bag from a local supermarket.

If you are in an urban environment, do not carry plastic bottles with water. Why should you? Do you carry a bottle of water when you are shopping at home? Most bigger cities are more or less civilized (this may not be true for some parts of London, so I was told smiley - winkeye), and it's possible to get something to drink almost everywhere.

more to come soon ....


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more