A Conversation for Wildlife Gardening - Water Habitat

Freshwater Prawn's/Shrimp in a pond?????

Post 1

Captain Bob, the ole sea dog

Does anyone know if you can get freshwater shrimp/prawns that you could keep in a pond?


Freshwater Prawn's/Shrimp in a pond?????

Post 2

Mina

smiley - erm I think they'd get eaten by the wildlife.


Freshwater Prawn's/Shrimp in a pond?????

Post 3

Captain Bob, the ole sea dog

Do you mean bird's by wildlife or other thing's inhabiting the pond?? frog's etc. Do fish eat them? If i covered the pond with a net would this prevent them being eaten?

Do they require running water/current or are they happy in still water?


Freshwater Prawn's/Shrimp in a pond?????

Post 4

Mina

Well, I don't know much about them, but if you have fish in the pond, they will eat them. If you don't have fish, then amphibians will probably eat them, in the water. You could probably have them in a container pond, they might be a little safer if the frogs can't get in, but they are probably better off in a tank or something. Have you thought of 'sea monkeys' - brine shrimp?


Freshwater Prawn's/Shrimp in a pond?????

Post 5

Captain Bob, the ole sea dog

I have'nt got a clue about varieties or anything like that, i'm very much in the planning stage at the moment. I'm arranging to take on an allotment at the moment, where the pond will be so i've gotta sort that out first then i'll figure out what's going to inhabit it. Do fish tend to eat frog spawn, is it worth having separate pool so that spawn can grow in relative safety?


Freshwater Prawn's/Shrimp in a pond?????

Post 6

Mina

Yes, fish will eat frog spawn, and any tadpoles that escape as well. Two ponds would be ideal, although I have got two myself, they are both wildlife ponds. And pretty wild they get too!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Wildlife Gardening - Water Habitat

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more