A Conversation for Badminton

A couple of errors...

Post 1

The Ghost of Polidari

Just a few points regarding this entry (sorry!)

For some reason I got to this entry via ‘Ball Sports’ and badminton isn’t a ball sport (I don't think this was your fault but thought I'd mention it anyway).

In the history section you ought to make mention of ‘battledore’, the fore-runner of badminton.

Shuttlecocks – you say in the footnotes that these days they are made of plastic or nylon, but this is misleading. It is a question of standards – ‘social’ players usually play with plastics, but clubs playing in leagues (and every standard above) still use feathers (they’re better!).

Scoring – there are some errors here.
You have put that the server’s racquet must be below the waist – this is misleading. It is the head of the racquet only that must be below the server’s waist. Additionally the head of the racquet must be noticeably below the handle at point of impact. The serve must also only be one movement, and the server’s feet must be in their service area. The opponent can also lose the serve if they move before the server has hit the shuttlecock. You also lose the point if you hit the shuttle while it is on the other side of the net, or if you hit it twice.

This paragraph should probably just been about how you win or lose the point, without concentrating on the server like it does.

Singles – end of the introductory paragraph does not make sense – ‘except the players only get one serve each, depending on whether it is their point or not’. Do you mean depending on whether they won the point or not? You should also specify that the back tramlines are in for the serve.

Also – you say that players swap ends after 8 points – this is only true if you are playing one game. If you play best of three or five, this only happens in the last game.

Doubles – you say the server’s partner stands at the back of the court – this is not necessarily the case. In Mixed it is usual for the lady to stand closer to the net while her partner serves. Some men also prefer to stand almost level with their partner while he serves.

You say that doubles matches consist of three matches to 21 but you must win by 2 clear points. THIS IS WRONG! There is no such rule in badminton about 2 clear points – ever! The rule is that if you get to 20 points each then the pair that reached 21 points first have the choice as to whether to ‘set’ or not. If not then the first pair to 21 wins, if they set then it’s the first pair to 24 who wins. Also most double’s matches are three games to 15, not 21 (and then you set at 14 all and the choice is to 15 or 17).

Shots –
The lob. Really this should be called a clear. The purpose of it is not for the opponent to leave it (even though it’s nice when they do), but because from the back of the court it is harder for the opponent to hit a smash.

The Drop Shot – can be played from anywhere on the court. Again it’s nice when it doesn’t come back but it’s real purpose, like the clear, is to minimise the opponents chances of hitting a smash, and puts the player on the defensive.

The passing shot – presuming you mean a drive here – fast and horizontal down the sides.

The slice – uhm!

Sorry again.

Polidari (the pedantic!)


A couple of errors...

Post 2

The Ghost of Polidari

And I really should have Previewed that first.

What a wally!

P. smiley - smiley


A couple of errors...

Post 3

caper_plip

Hi there!

I would have gladly added those points in... but for simplicity and generality, and of course, to put it into blatant layman's terms... I think that the entry's okay for the moment...

Regarding scoring... I played a tournament in both singles and doubles and we played a two-point deficit... I suppose it depends on the scoring rules how you play it.

Caper Plipsmiley - magic


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more