A Conversation for Swing Dancing

Swing's the thing

Post 21

usagi

Hmmm, there are so many bands out there. I just got done ripping the majority of my CDs at work, and it took me the greater part of two weeks. Now the big question is what to do with 400+ mp3's. anyway, Indigo Swing is a favorite of mine as well. Also Steve Lucky, and Lavay Smith, and Alien Fashion Show, and, and, and.... Take a look at blue Plate Special. They live in LA now, but are origionally from Chico. We are quite proud of our boys.
Anyway, Krissy, I will certainly let you know how they after I see them Sat smiley - winkeye
now if only they can get Lavay up here or Steve Mitchell

Also as for the oldies, I definately have have a weakness for Louis Prima, and Sinatra (when he is not doing Beatle covers).


Swing's the thing

Post 22

usagi

Wow... they were great. Friendly, and actually a bit taller than what I expected from their pictures. The only problem was that the floor was a bit crowded at first. But hey, I just did some east-coast to not be an ass.
About mid-way through I was just sitting at the front with my ex-girlfriend (hey we can't all have bad relationships with our exes) watching.


small swing camp in SF this weekend

Post 23

usagi

For those of you who do not keep up on the eswing calender. Here is the page listing. BTW I just got email that says it is happening both Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.eSwing.com/v20/events/details/event_5025614.html


Swing's the thing

Post 24

Pitzel

I miss Indigo Swing (sniff, sniff). Now they are just Indigo. While they still swing, it's just not the same anymore.


Swing's the thing

Post 25

SpiffyDoDa

Ok, so I went swing dancing last weekend with this guy...and he had only gone a couple times, so we went early to catch the lesson. I've been dancing Lindy for 2 years. These two guys were teaching, and they were pretty good, but I was bored out of my mind. So, they told us to do a rock-step, kick, kick...the basic 6 count lindy hop, and I've been doing it for years. But the teacher guy came up to me and told me not to bounce. When I was taught Savoi Style, the first thing they taught us was to bounce...I was wondering if anybody knows the answer to the proverbial question: To bounce or not to bounce.


Swing's the thing

Post 26

Pitzel

Savoy style swing is all about bouncing!

From what I learned, there are four critical Bs in swing: Bent knees, Balls of your feet, Butt out, and Bouncing.

If they were teaching a six count swing with no bouncing, they may have been doing West Coast Swing (not to be confused with Western swing). West coast is a lot like East Coast (your basic six count dance), but is much more upright and formal...and much less bouncing.


Swing's the thing

Post 27

Classic Krissy

Midwest has developed a style that's somewhere between the two. I would say that people are taught to bounce when they first begin so that they can feel the music. A sign of refinement (at least in Chicago) is being able to move intricately and smoothly without so much bouncing for certain songs. I actually have a problem with people who try to look so smooth that they take a great bouncy song and drag it out. I hate that. If it's poppy, then pop it! smiley - smiley

I have danced on both coasts and in the Midwest and it seems to me that West Coast Swing is based on foot movements and upper body movements and is, indeed, less bouncy. East coast swing seems to be all about the knees and arms, in a really good, showy bouncy way. Lots of trick moves on the east coast. Midwest swing is all about the hips. We're Lindy mad and tend to be very slidy and grindy. Because of that, we also tend to have a limited amount of dancing with much older or much younger individuals once you get into the higher eschelon. It's too suggestive for me to be comfortable dancing with a 60 year old guy at a bar that's had several drinks. I usually revert immediately back to the safe 1-2-rock step.

I, of course, am much more comfortable with the Midwest swing because that's what I've learned, but I like aspects of the others as well.

I think that the excessive bouncing is taught because it makes it easier for newbies to pick up the beat, though. The midwest Lindy is verrrrrryyy smooth and foot and hip oriented.


Swing's the thing

Post 28

SpiffyDoDa

I definately agree, you guys confirmed what I thought. I try to actually match the bounciness of the guy who's leading, but in general I bounce on 6 count (east coast) and try to take the lindy (lindy turn, 8 count lindy) really smooth. Thanks, I know now that I didnt embarrass myself too much.


Swing's the thing

Post 29

Classic Krissy

LOL!! Yep, I match the guy, usually, but I lead so much that when I think they are being awful I either back-lead or leave the floor.

The stuff I hate is when you get a guy that's trying to do the 6 count equivallent of a bump-and-grind to a very upbeat song or you get the "improvisational" guy that doesn't want to improv with you, he wants to spin 50 times on the floor and wind up all wonky and out of the count. One guy in Chicago in particular is very proud that he can spin, like 4 times in a row, but he winds up just leaving the girl standing there until he comes back to her and he never ever comes back with the music. It sucks. I once told him that he was a very nice dancer and when he needed a partner he should let me know and walked off the floor. The pokey ones I just back-lead until they speed up or I claim exhaustion (yeah, right smiley - winkeye) and get off the floor.

I've had a rotater cuff pulled with a guy that had that "hands grabbing like a vice grip" lead and tried to do a Texas Tommy and didn't lead it correctly, so if a guy has a vice grip I either tell him to let up or leave the floor.


Swing's the thing

Post 30

SpiffyDoDa

Totally! Some guy's grips or "frames" are terrible! I usually go dancing with a group of friends, so I get to dance with a bunch of different guys that I know pretty well...so its hard to just get off the floor and refuse to dance with them. One of my friends is really violent, the way he throws you around the floor. He makes it look pretty good, but it feels terrible! He does a thing he calls the Yo-Yo, which I'm pretty sure isn't a classic Lindy step, but he spins you in and out of the jockey position (cuddle) so fast! I think I have hit more innocent people dancing with him. But this guy who hasnt danced much who I was telling you about, he is too tentative, and doesnt grip hard enough. He has a good frame, but he's afraid to hold onto my hip in the 8 count. Heehehehe, what I need is a good partner something in the middle.

My other swing problem is that I'm too tall (5'11"), and most leads dont compensate and end up hitting me in the head on turns. Any advice on that?


Swing's the thing

Post 31

Classic Krissy

Unfortunately I also get konked. The only way I've ever compensated is to learn how to dance with my knees (sometimes VERY bent). smiley - smiley I'm just used to having a bruised head.


Swing's the thing

Post 32

bubster

Ah! Now all becomes clear.


Swing's the thing

Post 33

SpiffyDoDa

hehehe! I'm glad I dont suffer alone. Just remember some wisdom I was taught-- it's always the lead's fault!


Swing's the thing

Post 34

Classic Krissy

*pokes bubster in the side* Oh hah hah you. smiley - winkeye

Yes, it's all the leads fault, and sometimes I've found that a good swift punch to the kidneys will remind him of that. Especially if he's getting snugglier and grindier than necessary.


Swing's the thing

Post 35

SpiffyDoDa

LOL! Very true, very true indeed... I might just remember to bring a cattle prod in my purse next time I go dancing. smiley - winkeye


Swing's the thing

Post 36

SpiffyDoDa

LOL! Very true, very true indeed... I might just remember to bring a cattle prod in my purse next time I go dancing. smiley - winkeye


Swing's the thing

Post 37

Classic Krissy

or two of them. smiley - winkeye


Swing's the thing

Post 38

SpiffyDoDa

Hehehee very true...you never can have too much protection.


Swing's the thing

Post 39

Ford Contour

I know what you mean by injuries. In no way have I sustained the level of injury you have accomplished, but I do have bad knee's, and without the help of anyone else, I've found myself on the ground because I stepped wrong and my knee's desided to revolt against my body.

I understand there is a Chicogo dancer out there, may I ask if you Go to the Willow Brook at all?


Swing's the thing

Post 40

tonderai (wearing an itchy baobab hat)

Swing's surfaced in the punk scene too smiley - smiley As for music, it has to be Cherry Poppin' Daddies all the way ...


Key: Complain about this post