A Conversation for British Trains

Neglect

Post 1

Earthman

I've heard numerous stories about how the policy of British Rail was effectively to try to cut the number of people on the trains. When the numbers dropped, they cut trains. If the numbers went up again, they raised the ticket price until the numbers went back down....

Naturally, they weren't very interested in maintaining the track. Of course, the privatised companies couldn't be bothered either, as that would cost money. (allegedly)

This is all hearsay, rumour and spurious allegations of course, but it's not my fault they all seem so believable...


Neglect

Post 2

Captain Kebab

British Rail was starved of money for years before it was privatised because government wanted to cut income tax and it was an easy target. Then it was all sold off because the government wanted to cut income tax; and track maintenance was starved of money because the way that British Rail was privatised meant that Railtrack's primary goal was to maximise share dividends and they set out to achieve it.

Most European ralways are in a far better state than Britain's because they have invested heavily in their railways. They also pay more income tax than we do in most parts of Europe.

None of this is hearsay, rumour or spurious allegations. It was Margeret Thatcher who told us we can't have what we can't afford. Well we haven't got what we haven't paid for, have we? We're paying now, though, and we won't be getting for years, if at all.

I have heard it alleged that the current government has a transport policy. Now THAT'S hearsay, rumour and spurious allegations.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more