A Conversation for The History of Modern Medicine

Modern Medicine - Herbal Medicine/Remedies

Post 1

Chewy-Chewy

History

It is actually impossible to know exactly when we first started using herbs and plants for medicinal purposes. The earliest written account of herbal remedies comes from China in 2800BC. Ancient people realized that some plants were edible, poisonous and beneficial to health mainly through the dangerous process of trial and error.

Herbal medicines have been in and out of favour with people throughout the ages. But it has continued to develop until today. Today there is a growing concern about the side effects of many synthetic drugs. Herbal medicines are once again providing a safe and natural alternative treatment for many everyday complaints.

During World War One drugs were in short supply and herbal remedies were used extensively. In the 1990’s Penicillin was discovered but a handful of herbalists kept the tradition alive. In 1941 the Pharmacy & Medicines Act withdrew herbalists rights to supply patients with herbal medicines. After much campaigning in 1968 Medicines Act reinstated practitioners rights and then the British Herbal Medicine Association was founded.

So What Is Herbal Medicine?

The human metabolism is suited to digesting plants and herbal medicines and remedies, because of their diversity there is a wide range of uses and impact on the different functions of the body. Herbal medicines and herbal remedies are two different things, herbal medicines are licensed being approved by the Department of Health and show a proven and positive effect on conditions they treat.

We are all already using herbal remedies in our every day life, coffee and tea are stimulants, peppermint to help digestion, senna as a laxative and chamomile and lavender as relaxants.

Common Herbal Remedies

Garlic – Natural Antibiotic chopped or chewed, it helps reduce cholesterol and heart attacks by preventing blood clots. It also contains anti-viral properties. People use it in food today more as a seasoning.

Chamomile – Relieves stomach problems, calms nerves, fights infections, speeds the healing process and aids to prevent ulcers.

Ginseng - Helps increase stamina, provide protection for the liver from harmful substances, and stimulates the immune system and sexual activity is increased.

Ginger - Reduce the risk of heart attacks by preventing internal blood clots and used for motion sickness.

Licorice – Relieves ulcers and soothes sore throats.

Others include :- Aloe Vera, Anise, Black Currant Oil, Burdock, Catnip, Cayenne, Chickweed, Cranberry, Dandelion, Echinacea, Elderberry Flowers, Fennel, Ginkgo biloba, Golden Seal, Hawthorn Berries, Horsetail, Juniper Berry, Kava Kava, Kelp, Lobelia, Mandrake, Marshmallow, Milk Thistle, Mullein, Myrrh, Noni, Oatstraw, Papaya, Parsley, Passionflower, Peppermint, Periwinkle, Prickly Ash, Raspberry Leaf, Rhubarb, Safflower, Sage, Scullcap, Senna, Slippery Elm, Thyme, Watermelon Seeds, White Willow, Yellow Dock Root. This is just some of the herbs and plants we use today.

For a comprehensive breakdown of the above and their healing properties take a look at the following websites.

http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/best-herbal-remedies.html
http://www.all-natural.com/herbguid.html


Key: Complain about this post

Modern Medicine - Herbal Medicine/Remedies

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more