A Conversation for Dealing with Divorce

Adult Children of Divorce

Post 1

FG

This subject is of personal interest to me, as my parents divorced 4 years ago, when I was 26. I think divorce may be just a bit harder for the adult children. This is because when you are an adult, your parents feel you are ready and can handle the really messy stuff that small children are by-and-large protected from--the reasons why. And a child of any age does not want to hear about infidelities. I certainly was not ready to handle knowledge of a parent's outside romances. Nor could I handle it very well. I did not speak with that particular parent for about two years. Call me immature, but I think people who are considering divorce should probably handle some of their personal demons themselves, and not place that burden on their children--at whatever age. It's one thing to share your hopes and fears with a child, it's another to share your sex life.


Key: Complain about this post

Adult Children of Divorce

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more