A Conversation for Punctuation - a Quick Guide

Double spacing

Post 1

Captain Kebab

Speaking, or more accurately typing, as a ten-fingered typist (slow and clumsy, but I use all my digits) I find that double spacing after a full stop is much easier using the space bar rather than style sheets. It also means that I am consistent - I use double spacing naturally in h2g2 posts and web-based email, and I think it breaks up the text better and makes it clearer for the reader.

Incidentally, my habit is not a hangover from typewriters - I'm a self-taught typist, using a free floppy disk on the front of a computer mag on an old 386 laptop.


Double spacing

Post 2

Researcher Jon#10

I agree. I have always found when people use double-spaces after full stops that the text is much easier to read.

On a separate note I have a friend whose mission in life it is to eradicate multiple exclamation marks - he like's that part of the entry!


Double spacing

Post 3

Researcher Jon#10

I agree. I have always found when people use double-spaces after full stops that the text is much easier to read.

On a separate note I have a friend whose mission in life it is to eradicate multiple exclamation marks - he likes that part of the entry!


Double spacing

Post 4

Captain Kebab


I'll join the Mission to Eradicate Multiple Exclamation Marks - where do I sign? They drive me potty. I don't understand why people (you know who you are. This includes you, Mrs Kebab.) insist on littering their prose with them. It's as though they're saying, 'Look, Im being funny! Look, now I'm being really funny!!'

If it's funny, guys, we'll work it out from the context. If you're posting online and you think you'll be misinterpreted, use a smiley or rephrase. But stop abusing the punctuation!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more