A Conversation for Bigger and Bigger Infinities

Dum and Dumber

Post 1

Pirate Alexander LeGray

I'm sorry but on reflection I was naive in my previous response {}.
Adden-DUM
I don't like this font,
Let the empty set be 'o',
It could be said that 'o' is a member of every set.(Can't be bothered to look up the axioms of set theory.)

If we let your X be a set of sets; {o} belongs to X:
Then S exists because f({o})=a, and if a={o} it is a set.
(The only problem I had was with the possible S={o} because this looks empty.)

Now, N can be constructed from {o} using the successor function. (I don't want to look this up either.)

So to another problem:

The above set N has a bijection between it and the natural numbers we use when we go shopping, but it aint the same.

Given Q is countable, it is reasonable to say Q<P(X); but from that you can't deduce R=P(X); because R is a complete field and P(X) is a set without operations ect, and you can't even say that it has the same number of elements.

I'm sure your right and it is, its just that a little more work is required to prove it.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more