A Conversation for Homework Matters

Motivation

Post 1

Babelboy

What I have found with the children I teach and with my own children is that employing reverse psychology techniques works wonders. An ex-headteacher I am still friendly with suggested that the best way to get a child to read is to tell them they are not allowed to. e.g. "You are going to bed now. You can stay up for an extra 10 mins. You can play for 5 mins. You can read your book for 5 minutes then it's lights out!" - after a few nights of this they are begging to be allowed for 10 mins instead of 5.
I have tried a similar technique with reluctant homeworkers in my class. I asked the parents to agree a reward for their children e.g. a biscuit, a drink, 15 mins of a favourite tv prog. etc. They then agreed that this would be given for 5 mins of willing homework. I explained that quantity was not the issue, but quality and attitude were the key. Parents had to make sure they had JUST 5 mins of work and then give the reward. This was done on alternate nights.
Pretty soon the Child realised that spending 10 mins would actually mean that quality work was produced - resulting in extra rewards given at school.
All the parents who have tried this have reported great success. After 4 - 5 weeks the children are doing homework willingly and both parent and child feel less stressed - no more arguments and temper tantrums.
I fully appreciate that this may not work with all children but surely this is better than some of the shouting / arguing bouts I have been witness to in the past?

Babelboy


Key: Complain about this post

Motivation

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more