A Conversation for 'Barbarella' - the Film

Voice credit

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

As far as I remember, the Black Queen's voice was dubbed by Fenella Fielding, although there's no sign of her in the IMDB's "complete" cast list...


Voice credit

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Hmm. That's certainly interesting. I haven't heard this one before. She's not listed on my movie box's cast list, or anywhere online that I could find. Can anyone else confirm this little factoid?


Voice credit

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Let's put it this way; a friend pointed out Anita Pallenberg to me in another of her movies, and she had an accent I couldn't place, somewhere between Scandinavian (a la Ingrid Bergman) and Italian (a la Sophia Loren)... *One* of the films was dubbed, and I strongly suspect it was Barbarella... smiley - biggrin

As to whether the uncredited voice artist was Fenella Fielding, I heard that third-hand, and have never seen anything in print to back it up. Listening to the dialogue though, it's either Fenella, or someone pretending to be her, and in those days it was probably about as cheap to hire Fenella herself as it was to hire an impersonator for that sort of work.

On a side issue, could you persuade the PTB to rename the article "Barbarella ( 1968 )" to differentiate it from "Barbarella (2001)" which, as you note, will be coming out later in the year, and will probably get its own article in the fullness of time...? smiley - smiley


Voice credit

Post 4

invisibleknight

I saw Fenella listed as a dubbing voice on Wikipedia.
By the way, the opening credits were created by filming Fonda rolling on a sheet of glass and projecting images onto a sheet behind it. Clever and cheap effect, isn't it?


Voice credit

Post 5

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Very clever, yes.


Voice credit

Post 6

jmo1963

I believe that Joan Greenwood is now credited as being the voice of the Black Queen, and Marcel Marsaud's voice is actually that of voice artiste extraordinaire Robert Rietty.


Key: Complain about this post