A Conversation for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Why are you there?

Post 1

Zach Garland

Just askin'


Why are you there?

Post 2

Fluke

Ah, a wonderful new forum, ready for us to infect with our pointless comments.


Why are you there?

Post 3

Brox (a.k.a. Researcher 43342)

pointless comments! what pointless comments? where? wait...wasn't that the original question?


Why are you there?

Post 4

Fluke

Example of a pointless comment:
I've lost my soap, Mr Minestrone. Please buy me some rabbits for my wooden anniversary.


Why are you there?

Post 5

TowelMaster

Example of a pointless comment ; Ah going swimming are we ?


Why are you there?

Post 6

Brox (a.k.a. Researcher 43342)

here's a pointless joke:
two penguins are in a tub. one says to the other, "please pass the soap." the other responds, "what do i look like, a typewriter?"


Why are you there?

Post 7

Zach Garland

Pointless forums like this are to me akin to Tom Servo and Crow looking at themselves in the mirror and making fun of what they see.

Is there an MST3K thread in h2g2.com somewhere? just wonderin'...


Why are you there?

Post 8

Fluke

Damn! I hate it when I don't know what some kind of confusing abbreviation stands for (if indeed MST3K is an abbreviation...)
Please enlighten me, ZachsMind.


Why are you there?

Post 9

Brox (a.k.a. Researcher 43342)

mst3k = mystery science theater 3,000. what ever happened to the original joel?


Why are you there?

Post 10

Zach Garland

Where has Joel gone? Here:
http://www.gizmonics.com/

What is MST3K?
http://www.cas.unt.edu/~rguillot/descrip.htm

everything you always wanted to know about mystery science theater three thousand but were afraid to ask
http://metalab.unc.edu/lunar/mst3k/mst3k.html

Who's stalking Joel?
http://www.concentric.net/~Trellyn/joel/joel.html

What does it mean when you're MSTing something?
http://metalab.unc.edu/lunar/mst3k/mst3k.html#mist

Any fruit to declare?
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~jgotts/mst3k/mst3k-quotes.html


Why are you there?

Post 11

Brox (a.k.a. Researcher 43342)

ok, let's rephrase that...how did joel get off the satalite of love?


Why are you there?

Post 12

Zach Garland

I think it was during the fifth season. It might have been during the episode where they MSTed Mitchell. I'd have to go back through my tapes to check.

Doctor Forrester and TV's Frank were doing inventory in Deep Thirteen and they had hired this temp dude from some agency. His name was Mike. They decided they wanted to kill him just for grins because he was so incorigibly nice. They were discussing how they were going to go about killing him, and Gypsy overheard their conversation.

They did a very sweet tribute to 2001: A Space Oddyssey (sp?) there, as she read their lips. She misunderstood them and thought they were going to try and kill Joel. So she flew into a panic and then came up with part of a plan to save Joel and then she panicked again because she couldn't make it work.

When Forrester and Frank weren't looking, she called down to Deep 13 and talked with Mike directly, asking for assistance. She told him what she had heard. It was wrong of course but Mike agreed with Gypsy that it sounded like they were going to kill Joel.

Since Mike had been doing inventory of all Forrester's possessions, he found out there was a single occupant escape pod on the Satelite of Love. They hadn't discovered it in five years because it was hidden in a large crate marked Humdingers.

No one on the Satelite of Love liked to eat Humdingers, so naturally it was never discovered. (yeah, right)

Anyway, Gypsy rigged it up so that while Joel was reading a letter from their fans, he would fall into a chute and be booted out in the escape pod. Allegedly he landed safely on Earth, somewhere in the Australian Outback.

Without Joel, Forrester and Frank decided instead of killing Mike, they'd just send him up to the Satelite of Love and use him as their new guinea pig.

Aren't you sorry you asked? *smirk*


Why are you there?

Post 13

Brox (a.k.a. Researcher 43342)

kinda. i never liked mike. he seemed too...monotone?...out of it?...stoned? i donno, i just liked joel better.


Why are you there?

Post 14

Zach Garland

Well it doesn't matter cuz they're all gonna be gone in a few months. No more MST3K. Waaaahh!!!!!

I've taken to hunting down every episode I can find on video tape. Just so i can stock up on reruns for after they leave. Keep getting my regular fix.


Why are you there?

Post 15

Brox (a.k.a. Researcher 43342)

did you get mst3k the movie?


Why are you there?

Post 16

Zach Garland

That was one of the first ones I did get. This Island Earth is the movie they MST in their movie. A bit disappointing. The movie was just another episode for all intents and purposes. No logical reason to make a motion picture out of it.

I also have Manos: Hands of Fate, I Accused My Parents, Mitchel, Pod People, the Crawling Hand, Angel's Revenge, and most of the Rhino produced videotapes. I'm working with a couple collectors now to find copies of the ones which will probably never be released commercially.


Why are you there?

Post 17

Brox (a.k.a. Researcher 43342)

my all time fav's were the gammera (sp?) episodes. i love there version of the gammera theme song.


Why are you there?

Post 18

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

The original thread was missing some punctuation - it should have been (***surprised tone***) "Why, Are we here?"


Key: Complain about this post