Talking Point: Made-up Words and Phrases

48 Conversations

Some dictionaries.
Duleek: Sudden realisation, as you lie in bed waiting for the

alarm to go off, that it should have gone off an hour ago.

- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

- Taken from Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky

In our Talking Point this week we're looking at words or phrases that you yourself have invented; stuff you've actually made up and that you use in everyday speech. These words and phrases might not have made it into the Oxford English Dictionary yet, but all words start somewhere; have some of them started with you?

  • Do you make up words for things? If so, what are they? How do you use them and do you think they should be in the dictionary?

  • If not you, do you know anyone, friends or relatives, who've coined idiosyncratic words?

  • Are there words and phrases that are commonly used in the area where you live but are not used anywhere else?

  • Can you think of situations, items, feelings, emotions for which we're still lacking the right word?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A5808549

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more