A Conversation for Playground Games

Extreme Frisbee...

Post 1

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

not something I exactly played when *I* was little, but I think they do now...

For this, you need one decent frisbee and a relativley flat piece of land (or a gym-- you can richoce (sp?) the frisbee off the floor of the gym inside). There are two teams, and the least on each team you can have is two, unless you plan on catching what you throw. Each team has a "goal" area and the point of the game is to get the frisbee into your goal area.

At the start of the game, teams start opposite their goal area and a member of one team throws the frisbee towards the middle. Both teams can then rush in and whoever gets to it first/catches it can start play, which is simply passing the frisbee back and forth among the team to try to make it to the goal area. After this there are a few rules. First, the person who has the frisbee cannot move more than three steps without passing the frisbee. Second, they also may not hold onto it for more than ten seconds. Breaking of these rules means that the other team gets the frisbee*. When passing the frisbee, the other team may intercept by either catching or moving it in any way so that the other team cannot catch it and that means that they can now play the frisbee. Also, if a frisbee is dropped (or in essence, not caught) it automatically switches teams. Once one team gets their frisbee to their goal area, they now have a point. The teams move to their respective ends of the field and the team which did not get the last point gets to throw in the frisbee. This goes on until everyone is too exhausted to play any longer.

My favorite memory of this game is me body-slamming my non-boyfriend when we were on separate teams and going for the frisbee at the same time. Fun fun fun. smiley - loveblush

*not that anyone ever pays attention to the rules... it is just a game. smiley - smiley


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 2

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Oops... realized a little late that this is called "Ultimate Frisbee"... not what I have it labeled as.

Blame it on being smiley - sleepy and smiley - online2long. smiley - winkeye


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 3

Ultima Weapon (NE US Researcher)

Our school never played it until about 4th grade in gym class, and every now and then throughout the next few years it popped up in gym class and we played it again, under the same name. However, being a gym class the game was a lot less violent, and the rules were pretty much the same with little or no contact, and a turnover after a score.
Live Long and Prosper.
Ultima


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 4

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

We never played it by the rules till high school... but I remember playing frisbee of a sort in elementary school... one of the few sports I always enjoy in gym class. The other was "Co-ed [preremoved by researcher, just in case] Full Contact Tennis". At least, that's what we called it... it was more the idea, I guess.


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 5

Ultima Weapon (NE US Researcher)

In elementary school the frisbee games were pretty sad to watch. if anyone managed to even throw past 10 feet, the reciever would never complete the task in his title. Not until middle school were the students actually able to throw and catch. However, the frisbee in Middle School was always a Co-ed game with 4 people on a team and a lot of fields. Two guys and two girls were on a team, the same sexed would chose a friend and then randomly be stuck with 2 of the opposite. If you happened to get 2 'ditzy' girls on your team, you were pretty much screwed. There were some better co-ed games we played, like Capture the Flag on a full soccer field and a weird sort of "british bulldog" on the same field. There was also frisbee golf, which was really stupid.
Live Long and Prosper.
Ultima


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 6

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

We did frisbee golf too... p***ed the heck out of my friends and I who just wanted to do some archery... which, by the way, we never got around to doing because the teacher didn't like it.


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 7

Ultima Weapon (NE US Researcher)

our school would never even think of doing any form of archery, theyre paranoid like that. But i dont go to that school anymmore, yay! into the high school...the little people again. But gym is only half the year. I wonder how gay the teachers in that school are


Ultima


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 8

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Freshman, eh? smiley - winkeye Just graduated from high school this May myself...

Usually they don't let junior high/middle school kids use archery stuff... and we only did it one year because our teacher was cool that year. But it's just gym... smiley - tongueout

High school's pretty good, when you come right down to it. I mean, it's a little freer than the previous years, but you've still got stability and rules and so forth so you're not on your own like at college or in the real world. Unfortunately, like middle school, the teachers are sort of the same... though usually there's a larger number of good ones.


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 9

Ultima Weapon (NE US Researcher)

yeah, but i hope to cut my senoir year short. With enough credits one can graduate in january instead of june, but i heard that in doing this one is unable to attend the Prom, but the way I am i'll just go anyway. Middle school gym class is horrid, one da there was a drywall screw in a playground nerf like ball while it was being thrown at ppl in a huge scale version of dodgeball. Happily, I qualified for a seperate out of school advanced math program, and will be free of math class for the entire year. I am in the marching band already, and having much fun. Our high school is supposedly great, with lotsa freedom and kool teachers. But i shall have to verify these rumors upon arrival. And Gym class is every other day for half the year, therefore making it a lot less involved and strenous.
Live Long and Prosper.
Ultima


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 10

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Oh, to have graduated from high school in January...you have block scheduling, then? My school district was smart enough to dodge that... it's a pain to have a class for more than an hour a day. No math class?? *jealous* I took all the way up to Calculus... I coulda gotten out for a year, though. I wonder why I didn't. smiley - erm

Our gym class met either 4 times a week for a semester or twice a week all year-- never any problem there since I was in band and orchestra and thus had the twice a week deal. Speaking of... you're a bander?? smiley - biggrin What do you play?


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 11

Ultima Weapon (NE US Researcher)

Yes, my district is quite fond of its block schedule, despite the annoyance it is to the students. i still have tho option to take math class, I am starting i think trig and calc in my program. I am going to take an additional course next year, then I will be on college math in my junior and senior years, having finished that program. I could get out of the classes for 2 years, but I dont really wanna. Our gym class was every other day for 80 min., which was NOT fun. But at one point it was split with health class, which was a relief, until the class became mature, but whatever. I am in band and play concert snare and in marching i play bass drum #3. What do u play?
Live Long and Prosper.
Ultima


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 12

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

College math... *shudder* Eww. Always preferred college English myself. smiley - winkeye

Ooh... drummer boy, eh? smiley - winkeye I played flute in concert band and orchestra, though I never joined marching band (yes, I know, blasphamy). If I had I woulda played picc. smiley - smiley


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 13

Ultima Weapon (NE US Researcher)

I like math better than english. Theres always a concrete answer.
Piccolos are neat, i think my flutist friend plays one marching. i like making noise tho, bass drum fits my style.

Ultima


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 14

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

I love English for precisely the same reason you hate it-- you can often bend the rules so you do better in essays (I've yet to have an essay in math). Though, in literature analization, there ususally is some sort of concrete answer-- it's usually a bit more debatable than what 2+2 is.

Piccs (and flutes) can make plenty of noise if the acoustics are right lemme tell ya.... *rubs ears*...


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 15

Ultima Weapon (NE US Researcher)

Ive recently been promoted (or demoted, whatever) to the fourth bass drum, which is bigger and louder than the littler one i was on. It has a deep !boom! to it. I like math and science, cause the answer is definately out there somewhere, unlike all that other stuff, but now im just restating my point. i also want a man's job. im not gonna be a doctor, theyre always pracitcing all their stuff. i want something more concrete to do. But enough of my rants. i always get B's and C's on essays because it is always just me ranting on and on. Yet somehow I made it into honors english. go figure.
Live Long and Prosper.
Rich.


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 16

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Ooh... always liked the deep bass drum that I could feel vibrate in my throat. smiley - smiley

I don't know why I like not being able to find a concrete answer in English and the Arts, especially since I prefer things concrete, but it always seemed so much more of a challenge for me. That, and math just stopped being useful any more past Theo Geo in tenth grade.

Ranting's often a fun thing here... provided you rant about the right stuff. The real key is to be open to suggestions... and learn to deal with everyone diplomatically.

Talk more later...
Amy smiley - smiley


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 17

Ultima Weapon (NE US Researcher)

thats another thing i dont like, diplomacy. As someone once said anyone who wants to lead is therefore not fit to lead. I think that would apply to G.W.B...being a deomcrat and all


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 18

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Honey, Dubya's a republican. smiley - winkeye (or did you mean you were a democrat?)

And diplomacy is usually an asset most politicians don't have (present leader of US included): it is not only the ability to deal with people fairly, but to use the common sense God gave them. (see the recent greenhouse emissions act that W refuses to sign... smiley - grr!) And being diplomatic gets you further with everyone than being stubburn does. Always.


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 19

Ultima Weapon (NE US Researcher)

I meant that I was a democrat. It is fairly easy to do, especially with a little common sense, apathy, and sensitivity. However, since it always seems like I am the only one with ANY common sense. That makes things ten times as frustrating in normal problem solving circumstances (why dont you tun the water OFF if its spraying all over?!). That is why I always fix things while everyone panics,, but such is the life of me. andI am diplomatic to a point, if theyre just oblivious and arrogant then i become stubborn and ignore them. Oh well, off to deal with what i have to deal with day in and out.
Live Long and Prosper.
Ultima


Extreme Frisbee...

Post 20

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

I see what you mean... as a group, people are crazy things that should be avoided at all costs. But one on one, they're really not such bad creatures. I'm neither democrat nor republican-- I have issues with their stances on a lot of things, but had I voted in the last election, I woulda voted for Gore.

And what do you mean off to deal with what you always have to deal with...? smiley - erm It's almost eleven EDT... smiley - huh


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more