A Conversation for Opening Champagne

Additional Thinking

Post 1

Roundley The Terminator

Another reason to practice the "No Pop" approach is if you are pouring into glasses arranged on a table.

It's been my experience that when 'correctly' opened, the sparkling wine is better behaved and a correct glass can be poured in one visit, rather than having to come back when the 'head' settles.

When opened with the "Pop" approach, the wine is very excited and you're forever refilling to get the correct glass amount.

Also, never be fooled by a champagne glass/flute with lots of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. This invariably means that the wine itself has lost it's sparkle. When 'fresh', sparkling wine is all bubbles on the inside (the fineness of which is the indicator of quality and called the 'mousse') and none on the glass.

When you tire, as one must inevitably, of the French Champagne, I recommend with only moderate bias, the excellent sparkling wines of Australia. Particularly good ones to be getting on with are Croser and Clover Hill, while very good and cheaper examples are Yellowglen and Seppelt's Imperial Reserve.

Ah, Sparkling Wine. One of life's great pleasures.

:o)


Key: Complain about this post

Additional Thinking

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more