Asteroid Arthurdent - A Fitting Tribute to Douglas Adams

1 Conversation

On searching for news about the death of our own DNA I came across the following bulletin issued by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) on 16th May 2001

"Sci fi writer immortalised in space

An international space agency has named an asteroid Arthurdent, after a character from science fiction writer Douglas Adams' best-known work, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The Massachusetts-based Minor Planet Centre, a branch of the International Astronomical Union (IAU), made the announcement in an e-mail circular, the same day the British author died.

The asteroid's name was proposed by Felix Hormuth, an astronomer at Germany's Starkenburg Observatory, which spotted the space rock on February 7, 1998.

One of the Center's roles is to assign names to new asteroids, comets and other orbiting rocks.

Adams died in Santa Barbara, California, on the weekend after a heart attack."

Being a little sceptical - but trusting the ABC I discovered that The Minor Planet Center (MPC) operates at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, under the auspices of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) and is a nonprofit organization, with principal funding coming from subscriptions to the various services offered by the Center. The MPC is responsible for the efficient collection, (computation,) checking and dissemination of astrometric observations and orbits for minor planets and comets.

Hmmm - well, the Smithsonian - reputable enough and the IAU is also well respected - so I can only assume that the ABC report is true.

And what a wonderful tribute - I am sure that Douglas would be pleased. Arthur Dent will forever be on some astronomer's chart.
Maybe, in the future, the asteroid could be used as the site for a fabulous Restaurant? Why not? The Guide itself was once only an idea .....




Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A559686

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more