A Conversation for 'Pictures at an Exhibition' by Modest Mussorgsky

Tomita

Post 1

Sho - employed again!

Japanese electronic musician Tomita did a great version of it - not half as pompous as ELPs version! - too. My favourite is the Gnome, which Alan Freeman uses often in his radio shows.


Tomita

Post 2

Semiquaver

Aw, c'mon--ELP's wasn't that bad! I thought the gnome rocked...well, literally. The lyrics were pompous, but get past that to the new heights of pomposity in Great Gate...well, never mind. Concentrate on the goodness that is present in all three of the "Baba Yaga" variations.
And Tomita? I'll look for it. Great tip smiley - biggrin.
-Semiquaver


Tomita

Post 3

Sho - employed again!

found this on the Improbable Infinity Drive today and thought I'd ask:
did you ever find the Tomita version?

In a strange coincidence, I was listening to it at the weekend, and i have to say I love his version of the Great Gate at Kiev (one of my favourite pieces of music in any case)


Tomita

Post 4

Semiquaver

I never did find the Tomita version. Still, I'm planning a trip to the local CD place and I'll take another look.

You love Great Gates? I personally can't stand the thing! I can't avoid the fact that it's a nearly intact restatement of the Promenade in cut time--a faux pas in my opinion. Think of the symbolism: The Great Gates of Kiev is the big, booming finale, and it uses the melody from the bit where you're just walking from artwork to artwork. The most memorable part of these pictures--leaving. That's what goes through my mind, anyway.

Besides, our orchestra played Gates for an orchestra festival, and I got a bit tired of it, so I'm biased. It's a lovely piece to play, though--bit like learning to play "Eleanor Rigby" on piano--it's organic and fluid. So I see your point, I'm just biased. Whatever....

smiley - zenS./P.smiley - zen


Tomita

Post 5

Semiquaver

Oh, and by the way, do you swash buckles, too? Just wondering.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more