A Conversation for Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks

Fighting Fantasy Novels

Post 1

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

I'm surprised that the researcher didn't go into more detail as far as the FF novels are concerned. The trilogy that was tied to the world of Titan are well worth a mention here.

The Trolltooth Wars: apparently by Steve Jackson, Ian Livingstone and Marc Gasgoine, this tale is purported to have grown out of the "Tales of Trolltooth" introduction that accompanied the "Creature of Havoc" gamebook and chronicled the conflict between Zharadan Marr (of the aforementioned book) and Balthus Dire (of I believe "Citadel of Chaos" - if I got that wrong then shoot me now!) over the trade route through the Trolltooth Pass. The hero took the form of Chadda Darkmane a brooding warrior who was mentored by Yaztromo of many early books in the series.

Demonstealer: this novel saw the heroes of the first novel facing diabolic cultists and was the weakest of the three, but still worth reading for a true fan. I believe this was penned by Livingstone and Gasgoine.

Shadowmaster: the final novel in the series stands as perhaps the darkest of all, this tale delved back into the arcane past of the setting and in some way saught to explain the genesis of some of the more bizarre creatures of the setting. Here a shapeshifter was was the villain attempting to ressurect the creator of his race, an ancient and terrible sorceror-king. Again Darkmane and Yaztromo had to save the world before it was too late.


Fighting Fantasy Novels

Post 2

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

The last book was just by Gasgoine, by the way.


Fighting Fantasy Novels

Post 3

The Apprentice

I've read the 'pulp' Fighting Fantasy novels, but wanted to keep the entry more strongly linked to the 'game' element. There was more than enough to keep me going in that area alone.

The Apprentice


Fighting Fantasy Novels

Post 4

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

I was quite young when I read them, looking back through rose-tinted glasses and all.


Fighting Fantasy Novels

Post 5

Mat Lindsay (the researcher formerly known as Nylarthotep...now he has a name, all he needs is a face)

They were still good for the time.


Key: Complain about this post