A Conversation for World War Two Rationing in Britain

Eggs

Post 1

Wand'rin star

Our grocer would give us an extra egg if we were prepared to take Polish ones - no testing to see if they were still usable was allowed.(smiley - star)


Eggs

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

How often were they already bad?


Eggs

Post 3

Wand'rin star


Eggs

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

oh.
smiley - ill


Eggs

Post 5

Sho - employed again!

Eh? Speak up luv!
smiley - biggrin


Eggs

Post 6

LMScott

During the second world war, because eggs were scarce, many families kept a few hens and they sold the eggs locally, beautiful fresh eggs at about five shillings a dozen, but illegal, average wage being well under five pounds per week they were actually very expensive. In comparison a loaf of bread was fourpence halfpenny,old money, twenty cigarettes were fourpence and better class ones sixpence. One shilling ie; five 5p today would buy two trips to the the cinema, complete with a quarter of sweets or a bar of choclate on each visit.

But really illegal was the practice of one local farmer, he went round some Yorkshire hatcheries where eggs were being hatched in incubators.
He bought the clears and sold them at top price on local markets.

Don't know what clears are then I will tell you, they are eggs that are infertile, he candled them after six days in the incubator and apart from being a bit thin in the yolks they were still edible.

smiley - magic


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more