Moloko

1 Conversation

Moloko is an english band, consisting of 2 persons: Roisin Murphy and Mark Brydon. These two also have a more personal relationship besides music. The band is from Sheffield, England.

Their first record from 1995 was a single entitled: "Fun for Me". A huge breakthrough, and got a lot of airplay and the video was shown many times on MTV.

Later that year, Moloko released an EP, with the songs: "Where is the what if the what is in why?" and "Party Weirdo". Moloko was establishing themselves on the dance/triphop scene.

"Fun for Me" was re-released later that year, as a teaser before their debut-full-length album, "Do you like my tight sweater?" late 1995.

This CD was, beside "Fun for Me", a little off the mainstream dancething going on at that time. Roisins teasing (dare I say kinky) vocals and Marks cool sense of offbeat dancemusic, brought the music to a higher level. The lyrics also contained a good amount of sarcasm, irony and general humour.

"DYLMTS?" also generated another single, "Dominoid", but it could'nt reach the same level of "Fun for Me".

It took two years of touring and writing songs, before they were heard of again. This time, in 1998, they released "The Flipside". Again, it was daring danceable triphop, at a very high level. The single was a promise for the upcoming album, "I'm not a doctor!".

"I'm not a doctor!", was a little disappointing for many devoted Moloko fans. It was very experimental and not as catching as "DYLMTS?". They should'nt be compared. "INAD!" was more laidback, and had a little sad feel. On this album, was also the original version of one of Moloko's later hits, "Sing it back".

"Sing it back" was released in 1999 as a single, but was entirely remixed, and created the Moloko-sound we all know today. This was without any doubt the biggest hit since "Fun for Me". A lot of airplay and a great video caught a much larger group of people, and Moloko made their reentrance on the dancefloors. The single stayed on the charts for several months.

Next in line came, "The time is now". With same sound and feel as "Sing it back", this was a sure winner. It also included acoustic instruments, which was'nt a thing people binded together with Moloko. Moloko have always used acoustic instruments, but a lot of stereo-effects blurred this fact. On "The time is now" a clear spanish guitar could be heard. Mark was proving himself as a "real" musician.
"The time is now" became an even bigger hit, than "Sing it back", and their next full-length album, could not fail.

This album, "Things to make and do", was released in 2000, and was sold out in many record-stores all over the world. It was a record packed with great songs and hits, and the same sarcasm and humour, as on "DYLMTS?". Roisin had never sung as good as on this album.

After it's release, "TTMAD" produced another two singles. First up was "Pure Pleasure Seeker", which was the bombastic opener on "TTMAD". A monotonic masterpiece, and one of the best videos by Moloko ever. Again, a lot of airplay, but it never came close to the two previous singles. Maybe the fans was getting a little tired of the Moloko-sound?

This was all corrected with the last single from "TTMAD". "Indigo". The lyrics caused quite a stir. Not because of any provocative things, but because it was hard to translate what Roisin was singing. Many creative ideas were put up on their official website. One of them were "Radishes, tomatoes". The right thing was "Ramases, Colossus". The whole song was different in style, feel and sound than the other singlereleases from "TTMAD". It eventually became a hit, but "TTMAD" had already peaked.

Moloko is a definite live-band, and their performance is worth seeing, no matter if you're in to metal or opera. "DYLMTS?" was recorded in polyphoni, and was also played live in polyphoni. Their backing group plays very tight, and put a lot of energy into the show.

Today they are considered stars, and Roisin presented one of the awards at MTV music awards. But they're still very humble to their succes, and love to mingle with fans. Their love for their fans also produced a track, which was only released on the Internet. Roisin did'nt sing on this, why it never became downloaded that much.

www.moloko.co.uk

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A533215

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more