A Conversation for Field Marshal General Erwin Rommel - the Desert Fox

El Alamein

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

A place I wish would be compulsary for all the head-of-states of the world to visit...

...haven't been able to find an exact number of losses, but somewhere between 20500 and 33500 killed or wounded... and for what?

URL to be found here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A521425

(damn these round-about ways of sharing URLs)


El Alamein

Post 2

Maolmuire

"...and for what?"

Em, so that you could have the right to ask exactly that sort of question actually. Just as well the good guys won, isn't it then?


El Alamein

Post 3

Titania (gone for lunch)

The battle at El Alamein wasn't the sole reason the German's and their allied lost WW2... but this specific battle was for a few kilometres of desert, with thousands of young men (mostly men, and most of them only around 20 years old, according to the tombstones I've seen) dying in the trenches, on both sides.

What I'm trying to say is that is the 'ordinary' people who suffer and get killed in war, and El Alamein would be a very good illustration for those in charge; presidents, prime ministers, heads of state, to see the results of their decisions.


El Alamein

Post 4

jofillips

what a stupid comment to make...
if you need to analyse the stupidity of war go study ww1, ww2 was a completley justified 'crusade' if you like that had to be won.

only Soviet domination ruined the effort afterwards


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more