The Works Of Terry Pratchett

8 Conversations

Terry Pratchett is the biggest selling living English author. He has published 25 Discworld novels. These are humourous fantasy tales about the people of a flat circular world that rides through space on the backs of 4 giant elephants, who in turn stand on the back of an enormous turtle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A292790

The novels can be grouped by the people they are about; the city watch of the city of Ankh-Morpork, the witches of Lancre, Death and Rincewind the wizard. There are one-off books that are about other individuals.

I have rated each book out of 10. This is my own opinion. They are all worth reading, but some are much better than others. Read them all in order if you can, particularily those where the same character appears in a later book. As an introduction to the Discworld though, I believe you can't go wrong with Pyramids.

THE DISCWORLD NOVELS (in chronological order)

The Colour of Magic (7/10)
Rincewind the Wizard meets Twoflower the Tourist and his Luggage as gods play games with the lives of mortal men.

The Light Fantastic (9/10)
Rincewind and Twoflower meet the elderly Cohen the Barbarian as the Discworld's sun heads on a collision course with the Discworld.

Equal Rites (8/10)
The witch, Granny Weatherwax takes a young girl to Ankh-Morpork's Unseen University to enrol her as the first female wizard.

Mort (8/10)
Death takes on an apprentice .. Mort. Death takes the opportunity to experience life and poker as Mort brings a mortal touch to Death's role.

Sourcery (7/10)
A Wizard is an 8th son of an 8th son. Wizards don't normally have children, but one had 8 .. the source of magic itself, a Sourcerer.

Wyrd Sisters (10/10)
The witches of Lancre: Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick take on royalty and actors in a very 'scottish play'.

Pyramids (10/10)
The son of a Pharoah is sent to Ankh-Morpork to learn how to become a gentleman - at the Assassins College, and returns to save his country.

Guards, Guards !(10/10)
The city watch of Ankh-Morpork is formed under the command of one Samuel Vimes whose first job is to deal with a non-existant Dragon.

Eric (not Faust) (6/10)
(Graphic Novel). Eric, the Discworld's youngest demonologist meets the Luggage as if he wasn't in enough trouble already.

Moving Pictures (4/10)
Ankh-Morpork goes mad as the magic of the 'silver screen' comes to Holy Wood and suddenly everyone wants to be a star.

Reaper Man (5/10)
Death decides to take a break. He takes a job on a quiet farm. In the mean time no-one is dying and people are getting upset.

Witches Abroad (8/10)
The witches take a trip to the swamp lands of Genua and are introduced to the world of voodoo and fairy tales that just have to come true.

Small Gods (10/10)
The great god Om is not happy. His followers no longer believe, but one man does. This is the tale of one novice priest and the Quisition.

Lords and Ladies (7/10)
Elves are not the gentle folk many take them for. They are evil and spiteful ... but they've never met Granny Weatherwax .. until now.

Men at Arms (8/10)
The Ankh-Morpork city watch recruits new members including a dwarf who may just be female and a werewolf.

Soul Music (5/10)
Music with Rocks in arrives on the Discworld and its got a beat. Soon everyone wants to be a rock star .. even death.

Interesting Times (8/10)
Rincewind finds himself with the Luggage in the far east, in the middle of a war. There he meets Cohen and his geriatric barbarians.

Maskerade (7/10)
The witches go to the Opera as bad things start to happen and are blamed on a mysterious phantom.

Feet of Clay (7/10)
A murder has been committed and clay golems are suspected, Samuel Vimes believes there's a deeper threat to be discovered.

Hogfather (6/10)
Hogswatch Eve, and the Hogfather is missing, possibly assasinated. Death steps in, but not everything goes exactly as planned.

Jingo (8/10)
Ankh-Morpork goes to war, but it doesn't have an army. The city watch are called in and together with the Patrician, set about saving the day.

The Last Continent (7/10)
Rincewind has ended up in land known only as XXXX. Everyone has corks danglig from their hats and he is on the run from the law.

Carpe Jugulum (7/10)
Lancre is visited by a family of Vampires and it would seem their is no defence against them once Granny Weatherwax is dealt with.

The Fifth Elephant (8/10)
Samuel Vimes is on the run. Werewolves are all around and he is unfamiliar territory. Where does he turn for help ?

The Truth (9/10)
William de Worde prints Ankh-Morpork's first ever newspaper as the Patrician is the suspect in a very devious crime.

All of the above have been made in audio, narrated by Tony Robinson. Read the books though or you'll miss some of the fun.

Steve Jackson Games have produced a Role-Playing Game called Discwold GURPS (Generic Universal Role-playing System) .. a very funny book in itself.

Numerous other merchandise exists for the Discworld including statuettes, tea shirts and posters.

Together with Neil Gaiman he wrote Good Omens, a spoof of the Omen films (although that doesn't do it justice), in a very similar style of humour to the Discworld books and even featuring Death. (10/10)

Terry Pratchett also wrote 3 stories for younger readers: Truckers, Diggers and Wings, stories about gnomes living in an old department store.

He has also written:
Strata
Drak Side of the Sun http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A456725
Johnny and the Dead
Johnny and the Bomb
Only You Can Save Mankind
The Carpet People http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A471368
The Unadulterated Cat

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A523595

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more