A Conversation for The Swastika and the Sauvastika

The Jungle Book

Post 1

Pedros_Ecosse - I always look this confused! :)

I have a 1932 edition of the Jungle Book at home with the Swastika and the elephant exactly like the picture in the entry

Really enjoyed it thouroughly good read!smiley - biggrin


The Jungle Book

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thank you smiley - biggrin


The Jungle Book

Post 3

Pedros_Ecosse - I always look this confused! :)

smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - oksmiley - magic

your articles are always goodsmiley - smiley


The Jungle Book

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Thanks, Galaxy Babe. smiley - ok

I read Kipling's "Just so stories" when I was a kid. Kipling fell out of fashion for a number of decades, but lately he is being read again because it's been concluded that few others have written as well about that era and mindset.

As for contemporary uses of the swastika, I will remember that if there's an elephant in the design, the context is not a Western one smiley - winkeye. Context matters.

In the West, the swastika is still a problem, because there are still people who fancy themselves Nazis. smiley - sadface Was Hitler's regime a giant monkey wrench that was thrown into Western history to set everyone back a few centuries, or was it a continuation of bad trends that people recognized but were too weak/ignorant/self-absorbed to change until it was too late?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more