So Much For Human Rights!

0 Conversations

'All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.


So begins the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights,
which was adopted and proclaimed by the General Assembly of the United Nations on December 10, 1948. This amazing document states that all human beings are people and should be considered so under the law; everyone has the right to
participate in their societies without fear of persecution, torture, or other abuse; everyone has the right to marry, raise kids, and live in peace; and so on... ideas that people in many parts of the world take for granted.


Sadly, in other parts of the world, such fundamental tenets of human dignity are the stuff of dreams. Many are trapped by abject poverty in a living hell that can scarcely be imagined. Many more are shackled by powerful elite groups, who use religious or political dogma to rob them of the basic freedom that makes human life worth living.


The United Nations Commission on Human Rights monitors the level of acceptance the concept of human rights is accorded in the world community, and concentrates scrutiny on those countries which give most offence. Unfortunately, the Commission has utterly failed to live up to its mandate. It is very apparent that countries with the most deplorable records of human rights abuse can buy or coerce the votes of other delegates, and thus avoid censure.


In the 56th session of the UNCHR, held this Spring in Geneva, Switzerland, the United States of America sponsored a motion to examine the conduct of the People's Republic of
China,
as they have done routinely since the massacre in Tiananmen Square in 1989. With the support of Cuba, Russia, Indonesia, and Pakistan, and the abstentions of 12 other countries, China was able to win a 'no-action' motion; which is, in effect, a vote to look the other way.


This tacit, though nonetheless obscene, endorsement of China's atrocious record of persecution and terror evoked this response from Joanna Weschler, UN Representative of Human Rights Watch:
'Today's decision represents a sorry failure of political will. By turning a blind eye to China's worsening human rights record, the delegations in Geneva have given the wrong signal to Beijing's leaders.'

Amnesty International had this to say:
'The 'no action' motion brought by China against a resolution sponsored by the US brings into question the purpose and function of the UNCHR. Abuse of this loophole in the Commission's procedures should be an embarrassment to the world's top human rights body.'


Increasing pressure to open new markets and unite the world in a new global economy should not over-ride the fundamental principals of human rights that took our species so long to establish. Globalization is an inescapable fact; but the plunder and exploitation of developing nations is not; the cosy colonial notions of the past have no place in the new millennium. We are coming to recognize that people, wherever they may be, are our neighbours; and, as good neighbours, we have a responsibility to protect their interests, as they have to protect ours. The suffering of a neglected child or a battered wife is the same in Lhasa as in Kansas City,
Christchurch, or Birmingham; and ignoring that suffering brings shame to everyone. It is as outrageous to be beaten, raped, or killed on the other side of the world as it would be on our own doorsteps.


You may find a copy of this article at A305209


John-the-gardener


24.04.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A505027

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more