A Conversation for How to Speak Brummie

oil giv it foiv.

Post 1

Ausnahmsweise, wie üblich (Consistently inconsistent)

I'll definitely give the entry five.

Anyone remember that TV programme where new pop records were ranked? There was a girl from Birmingham (Beryl, Brenda?) who coined that phrase.


oil giv it foiv.

Post 2

Arthur

Wasn't the program called 'Juke Box Jury'?
The girl was Cathy McGowan.

Incidentally, 'oil giv it fawtee toooo'.


oil giv it foiv.

Post 3

dasilva


Oi kaaaant think woy... smiley - tongueout

I think many Brummies prefer not to think of the accent as showing a lack of creativity, more a sign of boredom at constantly hearing how 'grate'(ing) it is and how many 'mad ferrets' abound in other cities smiley - winkeye


oil giv it foiv.

Post 4

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Oroight?
It was Thank Your Lucky Stars (a talent show), and her name was Janice Nicholls (I think). Cathy McGowan (fwoar) was on Ready Steady Go, and Juke Box Jury was fronted by David "Hello there" Jacobs.
Tararabit.


oil giv it foiv.

Post 5

dasilva


Ar, but that wuz orl a long toim agoo *ahems*


oil giv it foiv.

Post 6

Researcher 170889

Here in the colonies, we had a similar show, but with our tendency to excess, records were rated on a scale of 100. The contestants nearly always mentioned the beat ('good' or 'bad') and whether it was 'easy to dance to'. One of the funniest episodes of the comic strip 'B.C.' rose from this wherein the snake-hating cavelady spies a snake and spends several panels of the strip beating the tar out of it, finally saying, "There! How about THAT?" To which the totally battered snake raises his head and replies, "It had a good beat; easy to dance to: I'd give it an 85".


oil giv it foiv.

Post 7

dasilva

Surely the best score to achieve was 42 smiley - winkeye


oil giv it foiv.

Post 8

Researcher 180628

It was Juke Box Jury. David Jacobs was the presenter, but Janice was on the voting panel - hence: 'I'll give it five'.


oil giv it foiv.

Post 9

McKay The Disorganised

No - it was Thank Your Lucky Stars. Which was not a talent show but a pop showcase - meant to rival Ready Steady Go! One section was similar to Juke Box Jury, where you voted Hit or Miss if you remember and Mr Jacobs awarded a DING (Bell) or a PHWAAR (Klaxon)

On the Thank Your Lucky Stars - hosted by Jim Dale - version marks were awarded out of 5, and normally members of the studio audience made up the panel of 3.

The show was recorded in Birmingham and one week Janice was pulled out of the audience. Her Oill Giive i' foive was so loved she became a regular.

And yes - I went to see the show being recorded.


oil giv it foiv.

Post 10

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Jim Dale? I didn't know he did it too. When Janice was on the panel the show was hosted by Brian Matthew if I remember correctly.


oil giv it foiv.

Post 11

McKay The Disorganised

Yes, prior to his hitting 'the big time' with the Carry On films.


oil giv it foiv.

Post 12

Researcher 208446

It most certainly was Janice Nicholls. She was picked by Brian Matthew for Thank Your Lucky Stars after taking part in an audition for a spin-a-disc section of the programme.
She now lives with her husband Brian Meacham in Hednesford and has a son, Paul, and daughter,Nicola.
They have their own website at http://members.lycos.co.uk/foive/

The Waverlian


Key: Complain about this post