A Conversation for Eleanor Roosevelt - First Lady

eleanor roosevelt

Post 1

Ozzywiz

I really enjoy the mystery novels by her son Elliott Roosevelt, set during the period of FDR's presidency and featuring the first lady as the sleuth. He obviously has access to his mother's diaries, because he captures the atmosphere of the time very well, describing her and the President's daily routine and actual meetings, functions and conversations with historical figures.

He is quite matter-of-fact about both Eleanor and FDR's extra-marital arrangements, too: I found it particularly interesting that according to Elliott, Missy le Hand lived in the White House and shared a bedroom with the president. In the novels, they often spend the evening in bed, being served a light supper and watching a movie, FDR chainsmoking cigarettes, of course. No doubt he inhaled.

No skulking in dark alcoves off the Oval Office for Roosevelt, getting up to dodgy tricks with cigars.

Where was Ken Starr when his country needed him????


eleanor roosevelt

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I hadn't heard of the mystery novels of Elliott Roosevelt until now. How fascinating!

Eleanor wrote constantly, between her diary, her newspaper column, and her frequent letters to friends, family, and (probable) lovers. It wouldn't be very hard to capture her spirit in fiction, in light of all she left behind.

I would argue that we never needed Ken Starr -- then or now. One's private life should be just that, unless you choose otherwise. If Clinton had affairs, FDR, Robert Kennedy, and countless other presidents too. It's almost a tradition.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Eleanor Roosevelt - First Lady

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more