FrontPage Archive - April 2009

0 Conversations

[Prev]part of an unofficial archive of h2g2 front pages[Next]

1 April 2009

The famous Ashes urn.The Ashes, 2005: a Snapshot of Sportsmanship - A heart-warming moment of true sportsmanship under blazing summer skies.


® The Romantic Novels of Georgette Heyer - Heyer is considered a master of light-hearted romantic historical fiction.


® The Alhambra, Granada, Spain - Overlooking the city of Granada, the Alhambra is the most stunning building in Spain.

QOTD: I prefer horses to cars, and don't see the point of ogling people who are doing nothing but standing around looking sexy.

2 April 2009

A salt cellar.Common Salt (Sodium Chloride) - Primitive man obtained his daily dietary requirement of this substance by consuming animal blood.


® The Commedia dell'Arte - The original 15th Century band of itinerant performers were a rather motley crew.


® Poor Mouse Mocha - How to quench your thirst for a rich chocolate mocha when the standard ingredients aren't to hand.

QOTD: You know you're addicted to h2g2 when you find your other addictions becoming less compelling.

3 April 2009

Jade Goody.Jade Goody: 1981 - 2009 - From an inauspicious start Jade Goody found wealth and fame in her short but eventful life.


® Tips on Moving in with Someone - Cohabiting, house-sharing or (gulp) 'moving in with someone' can be a daunting experience.


® Baboge: the Word Game - A word game with almost countless variations that can go on for days or even weeks on end.

QOTD: We need to invent whatever it is that yer woman in the red shoes is wearing to enable her to sashay gracefully in high heels. … What else needs inventing?

6 April 2009

The tree cathedral.The Tree Cathedral, Whipsnade - A Bedfordshire monument built with 'walls' of living trees.


® 'The Lost Chord' - A well-known and much-loved 19th-Century song; music by Arthur S Sullivan set to the words of poet Adelaide A Procter.


® The Sea - Most people only get to see the fringes of the sea with their own eyes, the bit where it meets the land.

QOTD: The sun is white. … No, really. It isn't yellow, it's white.

7 April 2009

A street sign on Broadway.Katharine Hepburn: Actress - In the year 1928, Hepburn married stockbroker Ludlow Ogden Smith and also made her Broadway debut.


® Skin Specialisations Among Cephalopods - Virtually every part of a cephalopod body has specialised features that help it survive.


® Paradigms and Paradigm Shifts - Very few people actually understand what a paradigm is, how it functions, or where the theory came from.

QOTD: My most recent experience mind you of indoor plant survival involves not getting pet cats. … They're a disaster on that front

8 April 2009

Gordon Strachan.Memorable Football Press Conferences - The career of most managers is a series of short appointments punctuated by failure.


® Lobster Pots: A Mathematics Game - A handy tool to help students with skills such as probability and percentages.


® Shade-grown Fair Trade Coffee - About 150 bird species can to live on this type of coffee plantation, compared with about 20 normally.

QOTD: But then if I am using links, then why not… As long as the other other websites recipricate!!!

9 April 2009

A 'no parking' sign.Gates in Constant Use - These are the words a driver doesn't want to read the minute he's bagsied a three-metre parking space.


® Artificial Preservation of Human Remains - The Chinchorro, a fishing tribe from Chile, were embalming their dead as early as 6000 BC.


® Charlie Chaplin - His father died early in his life and when Charlie was just 12 years old his mother was admitted to an asylum.

QOTD: its the usual weird british weather, was rain, then sun, and all the time a galeforce wind, thats not helping.

14 April 2009

A sign for Fifth Avenue in New York.Fifth Avenue and Central Park South - A New York City intersection that can easily keep an entire family entertained all day.


® Light-emitting Diodes - Increasingly ubiquitous, efficient and bright, they are found in digital watches, bicycle lamps and interior lighting.


® The Quaker Peace Testament - The Religious Society of Friends celebrated their 350th anniversary in 2002.

QOTD: For those who think that a tomato is a tomato is a tomato, have a look at this …

15 April 2009

An artist thinking about what to draw, and the finished comic displayed on three different computers.How To Run A Webcomic - Superb advice on how to get your comic read by utilising the advantages inherent in online publishing.


® The Perfect Bouillabaisse - A fantastic recipe of French and Spanish provenance, with Pernod playing a significant role.


® Nature's Ingenuity at Camouflage - Some creatures match their surroundings; others manipulate their skin colour to 'blend in'.

QOTD: I don't think there is a safe place as everywhere you go there's something trying to bite/eat/sting you or there are natural hazards like sub-zero temperatures or baking hot temps.

16 April 2009

Matt Monro.Matt Monro - Born Terry Parsons in 1930, this crooner was known as 'The Singer's Singer' and 'The Cockney Frank Sinatra'.


® Irony - This much-misunderstood form of humour has been described as 'like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife'.


® Astral Projection - A theory attempting to explain the perceived effects of meditation and subsequent 'out-of-body experiences'.

QOTD: Man... we really need to find some way to keep people from retroactively destroying great things.

17 April 2009

Monty Python artwork by Terry Gilliam of a man in an armchair with eyes popping out of his head.Monty Python's 'Philosophers Song' - A ribald ditty by the Python crew speculating on the crapulent secrets of our great philosophers.


® Origins of the Term 'Antipodean' - It is used most frequently in jocular or pejorative senses, and less often in serious critical writing.


® So You Want to be a Conductor? - The art of conducting is a mysterious and prestigious one that often impresses people.

QOTD: If you could absolutely 100% get away with it, what would it be?

20 April 2009

The site of Bridewell Palace, as it is today - at New Bridge Street in London.Bridewell Palace, London - In its 350-year history this building was everything from a royal palace to a home for the poor.


® Teaching a Cat to Fetch - It is a long-held misconception that dogs hold the monopoly on this simple game.


® How to Survive a Plane Crash - Tips to improve your prospects should you ever find yourself on board a stricken aeroplane.

QOTD: Hexagons make such great wheels, don't they?

21 April 2009

A bowler hat, pipe and suit.Maigret, Literary Detective - This French crime investigator was the creation of Belgian author Georges Simenon.


® Names and Origins of the Elements - Their nomenclature derives from everything from mythological concepts to famous scientists.


® How to Make Vinyl Bowls - MP3s are all very well in terms of portability and sound quality, but you can't do this with them.

QOTD: *buzz* Deviation!

22 April 2009

Cameron Duncan.Cameron Duncan, Filmmaker - In his short life he managed to produce films that were an inspiration to many people.


® American Southern Old-Time Music - 'Old-time' describes the hollering, funky sounds that come from the Appalachian Mountains.


® Spectacular Tomato Soup - This is the cheats' way of making really good tomato soup from a litre carton of tomato juice.

QOTD: I also hate, hate, hate the bad habit of designer and architect types of writing everything in lowercase.

23 April 2009

A production shot showing the Forum set used in 'Ancient Rome: The Rise And Fall Of An Empire: Constantine'.Vestal Virgins - Roman people thought Vestal Virgins were endowed with powers above those of ordinary mortals.


® Eyewitness Testimony and Cryptozoology - Cryptozoology is the search for unknown or hidden animals such as Bigfoot.


® The History of the Button - Over 3,000 years ago Bronze Age man created the button, though he didn't initially fasten anything with it.

QOTD: Pheloxi was, as we say in England, "One of the best' - there is no higher accolade in our people's culture. He was intelligent, witty and wise. I personally feel a better man for having known him, albeit through the internet and not in person.

24 April 2009

The Shield of the h2g2 University's Faculty of Sport and Leisure.

Today we're delighted to present a rather tasty project by B'Elana on Traditional North German Food:

Introduction - North German cuisine varies from area to area.
Lobscouse - A popular stew in coastal Germany, Denmark and Sweden.
Green Eel Soup - There's not that much eel in this dish.
Pears, French Beans and Bacon - This is also known as Gröner Hein.
Rich Sweet Dishes - A combination of sweetness and salt.


QOTD: What a bunch of wallies. Imagine trying to sell anything associated with pants.

27 April 2009

A jury summons.Serving on a Jury in England and Wales - What happens when you are invited to take part in one of the most important civic duties.


® The Scientific Method - Pioneered by Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626) as 'inductivism,' it's the cornerstone of modern science.


® How To... - There comes a point in everyone's life when they have to stop talking and start doing.

QOTD: I once invented a board game when I was at least half asleep. I've played it a few times since, with friends. I always lose.

28 April 2009

A wedding ring.German Wedding Traditions - Marriage evolved in many different places around the world at once - and with very different customs.


® X-Ray Tube Basics - X-Rays are produced by converting electrical energy into an electromagnetic wave.


® The Jubilee Through the Ages - 'Jubilee' has its origins in a solemn religious occasion, but has also come to refer to secular jollification.

QOTD: h2g2 has easily the best smileys on the web...

29 April 2009

Natasha Richardson in 1985.Natasha Richardson, Actress - A fine tribute to a star of stage and screen who has been described as having a 'rare luminous quality'.


® Doctor Who Monsters: The Slitheen - The first monsters from the series to be realised through a combination of CGI and costume.


® Dealing with Divorce - An action that affects the whole family and can have repercussions which last well into the future.

QOTD: A complete new lifestyle, a job, a house and a *lot* of snogging. … Thanks h2g2!

30 April 2009

L-R: Noel Edmonds, Mr Blobby.Noel's House Party - A Saturday-night television programme which was watched by over 15 million people at its peak.


® The Shaver Mystery - One of the oddest bits of speculation (or is it?) from the Golden Age of American Science Fiction.


® Oboes - This distinctive wind instrument's name derives from the French haut bois, meaning 'high wood'.

QOTD: I do still know where my towel is.

[Prev][Index][Next]

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A49333999

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more