Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips

3 Conversations

A country lane in Texas.

Just a gardening natter!


Where is this year going? We are fast approaching Easter, while Christmas seems like just yesterday. Summer bedding plants are slowly appearing in garden centres, while seeds are making jumping sounds trying to get out of their packets and planted!

Unfortunately this year has got off to a bad start for me. My nan passed away suddenly just over a month ago, and yesterday I received news that a good friend had died. The last couple of weeks I have been nursing a chest infection which is refusing to go away, and it has resulted in me snoring very loudly and being told off. I might go and sleep in the shed with the mice and spiders!

Apart from that I am okay, and enjoy my pottering in the greenhouse and watching things grow and mature from babies. A few days ago, I decided to sow a packet of my leek seeds. I always start these off in seed trays in the greenhouse, because if they are planted directly into the ground they either get stolen by wildlife or the rain washes them away. Last year was a very bad season for leeks, and so I am talking to these every day and hoping that they do better and at least come up.

I am going to try a different method this year, which is to pot each leek up in individual small pots to make them strong enough to cope with our change in weather conditions. Okay, this will be a tedious long job, but a friend recommended this method and so I will give it a try. I will also mix plenty of fertiliser in the soil before planting out to give them the best possible start.

Of course, I am saying all of this and they haven't even poked their tiny heads out of the soil yet! I am trying two different varieties: the one which has been sown is called 'Musselborough Improved'. I am not sure if this is a new variety as I have always grown just 'Musselborough'. I liked the 'improve' bit! The second variety which is a later one is called 'Oarsman', a strange name for a leek but as the name sounds big and strong I thought that I would give it a go. I always like to try different varieties each year, as a sort of experiment.

Apart from my leeks, I have my potatoes chit in the shed, and I have some swede seeds to put in but this won't be until June time. I am also hoping to grow some parsnips and a couple of squash plants when I go out to buy the seed.

I was down at the allotment on Saturday morning, and have noticed that there are more and more sheds going up. I just hope that the burglars don't come in like in previous years and decide to set fire to them. I would love a shed, but as a lot of people know, I have had many problems with my plastic greenhouse, with regards to slitting and ripping of the reinforced plastic. Time will tell. One of my friends has built a deck area on his shed which looks good enough to live on! That is a thought, I could snore my little head off then.

I have just come up from my greenhouse, mom wanted me to plant up a pot to sow and take down to the crematorium for nan. We did have a look in our local garden centre for a ready-made up one, but I decided to buy a pack of spring pansies and make up my own. Pansies last for ages if they are dead-headed and checked for water on a regular basis. Hopefully we can hide this pot by the hedge in the remembrance garden and check it on a weekly basis.

Anyway, I will leave you with some hints and tips to try out in your garden:

Although it is tempting to buy your summer bedding plants, be aware that we are still having cold nights. If you have a greenhouse or cold frame, then you can put them in there if they are covered with fleece at night. It is best to wait another month until the nights will hopefully warm up a little: however, May frosts have been known.

Plant lily and gladioli bulbs 4 in (10 cm) deep. Cover with soil, gently firming down to avoid air pockets which can cause rotting. Just be aware of wildlife digging them back up. If this is a common occurrence then you can start them off in pots, and plant them out when matured.

Do not forget our little birdies. Food and fresh water is essential at this time of year, a good garden centre or pet shop has usually got a good supply of bird food and feeders.

Plant or move roses. They like a sunny position, approximately 60 cm (24 in) apart for air circulation. Remember to always give them a drink of water after planting and firming down.

This is a good time to move and divide your herbaceous perennials. Try to leave as much soil on the roots as possible, and add plenty of fertiliser before planting. Firm in well, and water. The best way to divide many perennials is to simply get the spade and cut through the plant. However, consult a good gardening book as plants vary according to species.

Did you know that the mulberry tree never puts out leaves until the danger of frost has passed. It was known by the Victorians as 'The Wise Tree'.

If you have some heathers that are looking sick, try putting some seed and cutting compost in the centre. If you keep it moist, then new heather roots and shoots should appear within about six months.

When putting up window boxes or hanging baskets in your front garden, make sure to secure them properly as if they land on someone they can apparently sue you!

There are a few dopey bees around at this time of year coming out of hibernation. If you do get stung, rub a few Marigold petals onto the sting.

Enjoy the sunshine, and relax!

That is all for this time, Happy Gardening!

Nigel's Gardening Hints and Tips
Archive

youngsuper_Nigel

02.04.2009 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A49248697

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more