Munros

0 Conversations

The Munros are the hills in Scotland higher than 3000ft (917m). The summit must be separated from other peaks. Their number actual varies from year to year as mapping projects place some above the mighty figure and some below but its usually about 280. There are currently 284.

Although it was 'Munro' (in 1891) who first started to list the hills for the rather dull to read but ever popular 'Munro's Tables' it was the Victorian walker Rev. Robertson who first climbed all the Munros - and hence was the first 'Munro-ist'.

The Victoria era and the development of better access into the Scottish Highlands generated much interest in Scottish Mountaineering. In the third quarter of the 19th Century at least a dozen clubs were formed in the Lowlands of Scotland. After the era of the Victorian Gentleman (and woman) climber, the torch was taken up by working class climbers who used the Scottish Mountains as training grounds for the Alps - or as many would argue, the other way round.

Climbing all the Munros is now a popular ambition. I completed the list about 5 years ago and was number 1475 or so (the Munro Tables also asks Munroists to record their final victory). My Dad was 1100. By June 1999 there was 2066 Munro-ists and it is very rare to have a day up the hills today without seeing anyone else.

This seemingly harmless excursion has led to an explosion in 'Munro Bagging' where the aim is to tick off the hills as quickly as possible. Many traditionalists say that such Bagging removes the enjoyment from the hillwalking but hey.. each to their own. Baggers can often be seen religiously touching the very highest point of the mountain (usually a cairn) to qualify that tick in their book.

There are also those who have run around the Munros, done them all in one winter, cycled them, done them all with walking from the bottom of each to the next, the most done in one day etc.. The record for the fastest 'round' is about 70 days.

Munro-ing has led to erosion issues on many hills - many of which were rarely unclimbed until they gained Munro status and much work is being put into managing the paths etc...

The highest Munro is Ben Nevis - which is also the highest mountain in the UK at 4406ft. There are Munros on the Isle of Mull and also on Skye on which the Inaccessible Pinnacle of Sgurr Dearg is located - feared by many as the hardest Munro. There is always discussion as the remotest - it is possibly Seana Braigh.

The existence of the Munro list led to their being the list of Corbetts (2500ft +) and Donalds (2000ft +) but that's just getting silly...

for more details look at http://www.smc.org.uk/mupdate.htm

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A476002

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more