A Conversation for Goth - a Lifestyle Choice

goth/preps/punks whatever..

Post 1

simone b

I don't trust any youth subculture that has rules about what you're supposed to wear, the music you're supposed to like, the way you're supposed to wear your hair, etc. I don't like it when it comes from the Abercrombie kids, the skins, or the goths. Personally, I don't belong to the 'mainstream' youth culture -- MTV, etc -- that many goths my age belong to. And I happen to really, really like the color black. Leather, too. I own a dog collar. And handcuffs. And really kickass black boots. So am I poser because I do some of the 'goth' stuff but not the rest? Because I didn't think that the goths had a patent on this stuff, or that being into the stuff they're into was inherently any more original or better than being into Gap and MTV.
So, yeah..
-SDB


goth/preps/punks whatever..

Post 2

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Uh, as it says in the entry
"Another result of Goths' preoccupation with aesthetics is that most, if not all, Goths are quite vain. But neither black, nor anything else visible to the eye, is an absolute necessity. Many stereotypical Goth items are 'dress code' in certain situations, just as a tuxedo is at a formal party. But a Goth might only wear his blacks to parties, and wear regular stuff most of the time. Remember, Goth is first of all a state of mind."

So, there are no rules. Do what you want. It's a state of mind. smiley - shrug
I don't do all the stuff I mentioned in that entry. So what? I go to the festivals, I enjoy being around other Goths, I see the joke of it all (Seach the net for the TAO of Goth... good fun smiley - smiley). Each Goth has hir own views about what Goth is. So if you feel "Goth" why shouldn't you be one?

smiley - bat
Tube


goth/preps/punks whatever..

Post 3

SwallowedInDarkness

i agree with you (Tube).


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more