A Conversation for 'Biggles' - by Captain WE Johns

dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah

Post 1

Livzy





*dambusters theme in case you missed it*


dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah

Post 2

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

Wasn't Biggles a fighter pilot though? Surely dah-dah-dah dah-dah-daah (dudada- dudada-dudada) (633 Squadron) would be closer? I don't think I know any music from films about Sopwith Camels.

On the subject of films, why doesn't this article mention the 1986 movie Biggles: Adventures in Time (Despite his literary popularity, only the second filmed Biggles adventure)?

Oh, wait...hang on. That's right; because it was bloody awful (and in all likelihood a travesty).

The Prophet.


dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah

Post 3

BuskingBob

I remember he occasionally flew in Mosquitos, (fighter bomber, probably made by a model aircraft enthusiast out of wood and stickybacked plastic.) He also used to night fly as a pathfinder, which meant that during the day he walked around with tight fitting dark goggles to keep his night vision perfect. It doesn't mention it in any of the books but I think that some of his injuries during the war were casued by him walking into things while wearing tight fitting dark goggles.........


dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah

Post 4

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

Well there you go then; 633 squadron were Mosquito pilots (and bombers). Nice little plane the Mosquito.

On the subject of night-flying and such, Biggles also appears as a character in Kim Newman's Bloody Red Baron as a night-flying vampire pilot (along with every other famous WWI pilot, historical or fictional). He and the rest of his squadron get shot down by Germany's pilots, who fight by turning into giant bats with Lewis guns strapped to their chests. All the other pilots buy the farm, but at the end of the book it gets mentioned that Biggles fought his way back from behind the lines with an appropriate display of derring do.

The Prophet


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more