A Conversation for Omelettes

No Subject

Post 1

manolan


"... newly revealed and slightly brown surface."

Not sure it should ever go brown. Sounds like that would be over-cooking. The omelette should still be slightly runny in the middle when finished.


omlettes

Post 2

Researcher 162989

I agree that it probably shouldn't go brown. Being someone who dislikes runny eggs, I sometimes use the broiler in the cooking process. After the egg mixture and the ingredients have gone into the pan and cooked slightly, I 'bleed' the omlette--I use a spatula to lift one edge of the cooking omlette, and then rock the pan toward that edge so the remaining runny eggs go toward that side. Then I rock it back and the egg mix slips beneath. I do this about 2-3 times around the edge of the pan and then pop the entire thing into a heated broiler. About a minute passes, and the egg has cooked and become light and fluffy (and the cheese has melted too!). Out comes the pan, and I fold the whole thing over. Voila!


cooking method....

Post 3

Güthwinë

I've developed a bit of a 'secret method' myself for cooking omlettes. I agree that they should not be brown, but I don't like them runny either. What I do is this: while the pan is heating, I place the lid of the pan on the adjacent burner, getting it good and hot as well (I use a thick cast-iron frypan, with a thick cast-iron lid, so it holds heat well... not all lids would work, and some might well melt). Then, when I have poured in the egg, and rotated until it's nice and even, I wait until it starts to cook on the bottom, then put on the *very* hot lid, and take the whole thing off the heat, and let it sit for a minute or two. It doesn't take long until the whole thing is cooked very nicely and delicately all the way through. Basically, it's just creating a sort of broiler/oven situation. But it works very well, especially as flipping it doesn't work very well, due to the aforementioned heavy cast-iron pan.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more