The Other Pope JOHN XXIII

0 Conversations

For those ecumenically minded souls reading this Pope John the 23rd was the recent Pope (1958 to 1963) who kicked off the Second Vatican Council (Vatican II). But half a millenium before the Proper Pope John 23, there was an Antipope called John 23. This first John XXIII was born in 1370 (approx.) and ruled as Pope from 1400 to 1415. He was not aware he was an Antipope - he was pretty sure some of the other Popes were the imposters.

John's real name was Baldassare Cossa and it takes no great leap to imagine what he got called in the playground as a child. Fuelled by his childhood taunting Cossa left Naples to become a big fish in the north of Italy. He became a doctor of law, financial administrator, soldier and then statesmen. Realising there was only one professional where all qualities would be useful he eventually became a Cardinal.

Cardinal Cossa quickly betrayed his Pope (Gregory XII) and along with Cardinals who betrayed the other Pope (Benedict XIII) formed the Council of Pisa in 1409. Cossa got his buddy Pietro Philarghi elected as Pope Alexander V. It should be added that Gregory and Benedict were deposed by the Council but decided to stay Popes as well - meaning there were three altogether.

Cossa controlled Alexander V totally and had his Papacy enter into an alliance with Louis of Anjou to wage war against Ladislaus of Naples who at the time controlled Rome in favour of Pope Gregory. Soon after Rome was captured Alexander V died and Cossa was elected the new Pope - John XXIII. Gregory and Benedict are still about.

One of Pope John's allies was Sigismund of Hungary who just happened to become King of Germany on almost the same day Cardinal Cossa became Pope. Louis of Anjou got bored soon after and went home, leaving Ladislaus to attack Rome.

What was a Pope to do? He here is, getting attacked by a prince from Naples who has been excommunicated from the Church by yours truly. Well, its obvious. You enter into negotiations, get him to betray Pope Gregory, name him the Standard-Bearer of the Church and give him Sicily and Naples for his troubles.

Ganfalonier Ladislaus thought to himself 'actually, I think I'll have Rome as well' and did so. King Sigismund decided friend or not, three Popes was looking a bit silly and he asked all three to come together for a meeting.

John XXIII was anxious to get Sigismund to aid him in knocking off Ladislaus, so he approved the Council meeting. But Ladislaus had the last laugh - by dying. John now did not need to get Sigismund's help but was trapped into entering the Council to resolve the issue of the Three Popes. John's argument - that he was the Pope and the other two could go get knotted - was not shared by King Sigismund. He said 'all three of you - get knotted' 1 .

John eventually read out an abdication speech but fled during the Council session and tried to convince Europe he had his fingers crossed behind his back when he'd read it out. He was promptly jailed for three years whilst Martin V was elected to be the one and the only Pope. John eventually recognised Martin as the Pope 2 and that earned him a Cardinal-Bishophood in Tusculum. But the Church without war, betrayal and accountancy held no allure for Cardinal-Bishop 'Baldass' Cossa and he died a broken man3 in June 1419. Cosimo de Medici remembered him fondly - which gives you an idea of what sort of man Cossa must have been.

1 Although he said it much more eloquently and in a medieval version of German 2I mean the big hat and vestments are a dead giveaway for a start3some accounts do say he was intact at death

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A460469

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more