A Conversation for How to Teach your Child the Basics

Shoelaces

Post 1

Christy Woodman

First, make sure there is no undue pressure put on the child to learn shoelace-tying quickly. It is a skill best learned at the child's own pace, and -- unlike toilet-training -- there is no inherent need to hurry. Kids these days can wear sneakers with Velcro straps right up through junior high without getting pitying looks from their peers.

Secondly, get a shoelace practicer (a chunk of wood or cardboard pierced with several holes) and keep it in the car. An extra shoe (adult-sized is easier) works fine too. Then, whenever the family is on a long car trip, the child can work on tying shoelace bows for long periods of time, and not arrive at your destination with untied shoes. Praise every successful bow enthusiastically.

Let the child choose his/her own shoelaces. Patterned laces or neon ones or glow-in-the-dark ones will keep the child interested in the process of shoelace-tying. If you just can't stand the thought of neon-green laces on navy-blue sneakers, put the most outrageous ones on the shoelace practicer instead of on the child's actual shoes. The two important factors to keep in mind are that the shoelaces should be flat (round laces do not make, or hold, a bow very well) and of a non-slip material (kids love plastic laces but these are not practical).

Some children are visual learners; they may want to watch you tie a bow over and over again. Try tying bows in wide pieces of ribbon so they have a better view of what is happening. Some children are kinetic learners; let them hold your hands (or wrists) as you tie a bow, so they will get used to making the right motions. Some children are audial learners; they might want to make up a little song to help them remember the steps in order.

There are two main ways to tie shoelaces. Kids tend to find one easier than the other, so if they experience great difficulties with one way, try showing them the other. The first step in each is the same: cross one lace over the other, tuck it underneath, and pull in the other direction. Make sure your kid understands the tucking-under part and isn't just pulling the laces in opposite directions.

The first way is "rabbit ears": make a loop with each hand, then cross the loops and tuck them under each other the same way you did with the original laces. Doing this twice is called "double-knotting."

The second way is to make a loop with one lace and then bring the other lace around it, tucking it through the small opening between the loop and the hand holding it. A bow made in this way can be double-knotted afterward,


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more