A Conversation for Arthur Furguson - Salesman of Monuments

But is it true?

Post 1

Bruxism

Just a couple of weeks ago I was reading a debate on the QI pages concerning Mr Furguson, and it seems there is some doubt concerning his existence. As I recall, this was based on the fact that all stories appear to be based on each other with no original source forthcoming. Have a look: http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=499805


But is it true?

Post 2

gbrading

Certainly an interesting idea, I had no idea Furguson had generated such discussion. smiley - smiley My main source when I originally wrote the article way back in 2005 was the "Reader's Digest Book of Strange Stories and Amazing Facts", 1975 edition. I also was shown a picture of Furguson (which can be seen here: http://www.sonar.es/2005/eng/imagen.cfm#) when this article was in review, which seemed to support his existence. If the photograph isn't of Furguson, I'd be interested to know who is was instead.

I personally am inclined to believe Furguson existed. However, since the Reader's Digest seems to be the earliest source, it would be useful to know where they had got the story from in the first place.


But is it true?

Post 3

Jarredfurguson

I have to say, this is really interesting. I gave up search many yrs ago for anyone with
My last name. I will admit I was never that thorough or had the drive-obviously to continue urgently looking for family of my name. The spelling is very rare! However, obviously being a descendant of the Furgusons; I know that a man had to exist. Was he the fraud, did he have a wife and kids to carry the name? Is that the reason my family history isn't known? I barely new my grandfather, he abandoned my grandmother and my father @ 12. I had seen him twice as a toddler. I must say, my dad has his ears, and my grandfather has arthurs height.


But is it true?

Post 4

Vip

Oooh, interesting. It's such a shame there isn't an easy way to check out these things, isn't it. smiley - smiley

Vip
smiley - fairy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more