A Conversation for Williamina Fleming - Astronomy Pioneer

What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 1

AlsoRan80

Dear Galaxie Babe,

You are soooo clever to know and write about such a marvellous person.

I am fascinated by her name. It is William - a man's name - with the rest added because she was a girl. !!!

Honestly, one wonders how women ever fulfilled their potential.

Anyway, once I have conquered the cut and pasting, I am going to have a special file about the sky. I really love it, although one really does not get that black velvety sky in the northern hemisphere which I so loved in Southern Africa. I also loved all those wonderful galaxies in the Milky way. !!

Ah well.

Again thank you

With affection

Christiane
AlsoRan80
(May I put ou down as a friend so that I do not miss any of your writings?)


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hello Christianesmiley - hug
Of course you may add me as a friend!smiley - biggrin

I am glad you enjoy my writing, I have written about Williamina Fleming a few times in my constellations and was determined to write her biography, she discovered the Horsehead Nebula you know, that's pending as well. A42426939

I find I have more I want to write about than I have time to givesmiley - erm but I am getting through the list slowly.

I read somewhere else what you wrote about the southern stars and I am so envioussmiley - envy I would love to see Crux and Cetus and Centaurus *sigh* maybe one day smiley - ok

Thanks again for your kind commentssmiley - hug

GB
smiley - galaxy


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 3

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I saw the subject heading of this conversation and knew it would be you, AR! I'm getting good at this.

She does indeed sound like an extraordinary woman.

This is yet another entry I missed on it's way through Peer Review. I really must spend more time there.

TRiG.smiley - galaxy


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - smooch
Thank you TRiG

GB
smiley - galaxy


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 5

AlsoRan80

Goodness me I am confused.

Trig= galaxy- and GB.

I have gone to your homes pages and wonder if I am wiser.

Anyway, she was a wonderful woman and it was beautifully written.

Regards to all,

christiane
Alsoran80


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 6

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I think TRiG was just posting the smiley - galaxy in support of my smiley - galaxy smiley campaign, it has only been ongoing for around 8 yearssmiley - biggrin

I hope to, one day, see the smiley - galaxy smiley become real but there are more important issues which attract my attention, like writing up my next articlesmiley - ok

Kind regards Christiane, and sorry for the confusionsmiley - doh

smiley - cheerup


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 7

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I almost always follow my signature with a smiley. Occasionally, it's a nonexistent one. If the galaxy smiley ever is created, all these little code things will become pictures.

TRiG.smiley - biggrinsmiley - galaxysmiley - ok


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 8

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - whistlesmiley - galaxysmiley - whistle


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 9

Kes

Great article. Well done.


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 10

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I know that voice!smiley - wow

Aren't you the smiley - ghost of Christmas Past? smiley - bigeyes

smiley - santasmiley - smooch


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 11

AlsoRan80

Dear GB.

How do you know so much about the constellations? Is that you area of training or are you a physcicist?

I have been trying to see the ISS from my flat. Last week, i think I saw it climbing up from the shoreline of France for about a minute. Then clouds obscured it.

Deke has been wonderful in giving me the details which I am sure I am to stupid to work out . But as you say, I love the the constellations in the southern Hemisphere, and the Milky way is something so special that it is worth a trip out there to see it. Truly sparkling jewels in the black night sky.

With much affection
Christiane
Alsoran80


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 12

AlsoRan80

Dear Kes,

I have just spent nearly an hour researching YOU. !!

And thanks to that, I find that the first time I wrote about an article was when I replied to yours on French Music.I could never quite remember when I joined but I know it was a long time ago. I think now it must have been in 2001 - about October, and then when I discovered your article on French music I was over the moon. !! However for whatever reason - I think that I read that you went away, our friendship did not develop. Can I please put you on my Friends list so that it never happens again!!

As I am an octogenarian, perhaps it may not be for long.smiley - sadface In any case I had a really dreary event called a TIA occur last week, so the exhaustive search and reading I have done now makes me definitely "damaged goods".

Please how do I join the Musicians Guild? I would love to have at least one thing next to my name - and I love music .It was fascinating that history of French music. My Mother studied the violin at the Paris Conservatoire, and as children we were brought up to listen to Trios and Quartets which my Maman organised every Wednesday afternoon. She used to shut the door firmly so that we would not disturb them,. This was a sure fire way of getting me to sit crouched outside the door listening to their lovely chamber music. !!

Great to say Hi. The name did ring a bell but I did not know why until I found my little piece about Claude Debussy whom I studied, played and absolutely loved.

sincerely,

Christiane
AlsoRan80
(I keep forgetting my password. !)



What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 13

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Hello again Christiane smiley - smiley
I am entirely self-taught, I learned all I have from research and help and assistance received from my friends in Peer Review. The entire constellation project was massive, and not something I think which will ever be surpassed in the history of h2g2. All 88 constellations are covered nowsmiley - ok
I have never seen southern stars. Of that I envy you, but would love to witness such glory one day. It's nice to still have hopes and dreams.

I am sorry to hear of your health problemssmiley - hug

smiley - cheerup
GB
smiley - galaxy


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 14

Kes

*Makes chain-rattly noises* smiley - santa Seasons Greetings, GB!


What an extraordinarily wonderful woman!

Post 15

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - wowNow I know I wasn't dreaming!

Same to you, my dear Kes

smiley - mistletoe
smiley - smooch


Key: Complain about this post