A Conversation for Being a Football Goalkeeper

One more advantage...

Post 1

Ormondroyd

Congratulations on an excellent Entry!
One other advantage of being a goakeeper is that, since less running around is required than for outfield players, 'keepers can usually have longer careers. Dino Zoff captained Italy to a World Cup win when he was 40, and I was privileged to witness Peter Shilton playing his 1,000th league game, a unique feat which he achieved at the age of 47!


One more advantage...

Post 2

Is mise Duncan

And Lukic was between the sticks for Arsenal's match last night. A fairly brutal display - but then he hasn't played first team football for about 4 years! Still - such a revival would be very unlikely for an outfield player (with the possible exception of Roger Milla).


One more advantage...

Post 3

Ormondroyd

At Bradford, you may remember, an injury crisis forced us to draft our goalkeeping coach Neville Southall into the team for one game last season. It was a tad embarrassing since he is decidedly bulky these days. It was a relief when he got through the match without splitting his shorts. smiley - bigeyes


Funny old world

Post 4

Is mise Duncan

When Paul Merson lobs the keeper from the halfway line it is a wonder goal, but if he did it from half that distance it would have been a goalkeeping blunder.
(IMHO it was - you never jump up and backwards! Step behind the line and jump forwards for a lob...)


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more