A Conversation for Driving Etiquette - Germany

Germans and motorways

Post 1

Hapi - Hippo #5

Well.. I'm not German, so read my comments with that fact in mind.
In another page the top ten reasons to be German were posted:
1. Oktoberfest.
2. Oktoberfest-beer.
3. BMW.
4. VW.
5. Audi.
6. Mercedes.
7. On a highway you can travel at a speed that would bring you to jail in any other country of the world.
8. You do not have to learn German as a foreign language.
9. You think Sauerkraut is delicious.
10. Contrary to common belief laughing is not forbidden by law (yet).

Interesting that half of these are in some way related to cars.
Reason # 10 is also relevant when discussing traffic in Germany:
Having lived for several years very near to the German border I'd also like to make some additional remarks:
- When driving through Germany the German drivers are relatively polite (except dark blue BMW and Mercedes drivers as discussed). They'll give you right of way, sometimes even if they're not really obliged to do so and (seldom, I agree) if there's no police car near. All in all, driving through Germany can be pleasant -as long as you can recognise the dark blue.. well... we've been through that..)
- When Germans are driving abroad (outside Germany) all hell brakes loose: when abroad a self-respecting German will ignore any speed limit and most traffic lights. Local population not prepared to travel near the speed of sound (or the speed of Germans: the difference is minor) is honked, flashed, and shouted off. Well known German compliments to (naturally slower) native drivers include friendly waving middle fingers and sometimes even waving whole fists.
This all makes German cars immensely popular in neighbouring countries, especially with the local police patrols (smiley - laugh)


Germans and motorways

Post 2

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Hey, don't forget to mention The Games! --> A344251smiley - winkeye


Germans and motorways

Post 3

Hapi - Hippo #5

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

and the best of it is.. some of us don't know that it's all true.. they think it's a joke

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more