A Conversation for Driving Etiquette - Australia

Pedestrian etiquette

Post 1

Captain_clerk_birralee

I am becoming more and more interested in Pedestrian Etiquette - is there anyone out there with any thoughts on some of the dos and don'ts out on the footpath (or pavement, depending on your location), thanks, The Captain.


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 2

seanypops

As a pedestrian you should always assume that the driver of every vehicle on the road is psychic and knows exactly what you are going to do, so you are safe in the knowledge that when you suddenly step into the road you will not cause the driver to veer wildly off course as they will already know what you are going to do.Possibly.


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 3

Captain_clerk_birralee

OK, so what I propose is either: a) pedestrian education and licensing; or, b) driver psychic-sensitivity testing. For the former, please stay tuned for upcoming article on 'Pedestrian Etiquette'; for the latter, ...er,


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 4

Captain_clerk_birralee

Patience


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 5

Captain_clerk_birralee

pedestrian rage


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 6

Researcher 188341

In the crowded Hong Kong Streets one has to do lot of collision avoidance (with other pedestrians). This gets rather tiring.
The remedy is don't look up. Stare at the footpath in front of you and just walk purposefully. The other pedestrians will than step aside - it helps if you are tall.


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 7

Captain_clerk_birralee

I wonder if people actually develop a sort of radar -as Douglas Adams postulated, I think, somewhere in one of his books ("Last Chance To See", I think). Certainly one can discern a variety of skill levels: amatuers, enthusiastic or otherwise, can be verily a brake, or a nightmare of frustration, for the urban regular. For myself, I find walking in the City a work in progress, and am yet to develop tolerance for out -of-town goose-necks without any clear sense of direction or purpose. But, if you can't stand the heat....


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 8

QCV

I some state cars are supposed to give way to pedestrians when turning a corner, DO NOT RELY ON THIS!!!!


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 9

Captain_clerk_birralee

True, after all it would be a hell of a way to test the point. However I have heard that international UN Law says that pedestrians always have right of way - does anyone know about this?


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 10

bharf

As a pedestrian, you should always swear obscenities at drivers who swerve and brake to miss you when you step out in front of them without even looking or caring. It's much more important that you don't interrupt the listening on your MP3 player blaring away at 120dB and that you don't spill your juice while juggling a burger; no need to waste time looking where you're going.

Don't forget to make a serious statement by wearing really dark clothes when it's dark. It will support your image when you're abusing drivers who've just saved your life.


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 11

bharf

There is no such law.

Signatories to the UN/ECE Conventions on Traffic Laws and signage produce some commonality between countries in terms of signage and its meaning, but they're not consistent amongst all members. Uniformity of traffic laws only goes so far as promoting uniformity within each regulating country. And it's not perfect at that either.

The number of countries that have signed up to the Conventions is relatively small; but a number of non-signatories use the same signage. Some countries have signed only the convention of Traffic Laws, but not the signage (notable amongst these are the USA and Australia).

Countries are not forced to adopt all the recommendations of the Conventions. They make their own laws as they see fit.

A fair rule of thumb is that pedestrians have right of way until they change direction; except at marked pedestrian crossings. That means that if you're driving and wish to turn into a road, but there's a pedestrian crossing that road's junction, then you must give way to them. That is consistent because they are traffic, and traffic moving in a straight line takes precedence over that wishing to turn - except where explicitly marked otherwise.

It is always wise to consult the regulations of the places to which you intend to travel before departure.

Also, courtesy and common sense make for a welcome change.


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 12

Researcher 198131

Pedestrians: When on an escalator you should stand to the left (or right, depending on which country you’re from) in order to let people who like to walk up the escalator (rather than just stand there for the ride) get past.

If you are a slow walker, do not dawdle down the middle of a path blocking the way past.

Do not stand in the middle of the footpath in large groups talking, move to one side. (Or even small groups.)

Drivers: If you are waving a pedestrian across the road and they don’t move, don’t get mad. It’s not because they are ignoring you, it’s just that they can’t see you. This could be because your windscreen is tinted too dark, or the sun is shining on it and they can’t see through the glare. Unless a person knows they are being waved across they are not going to move, right of way or not. (Well, most pedestrians anyway.smiley - winkeye) Car V pedestrian, car wins.smiley - injured

A plea to drivers everywhere: Use your indicators!smiley - ok


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 13

Captain_clerk_birralee

Thank you, common sense at last. by the way, when are people gonna get sick of the car game?
There is no sense of community like being on the street. Cowards drive cars. Which is not to say they aren't good fun. But were they ever intended to be anything more. I think people (this generation), have lost the art of walking - they just don't know how to do it anymore, the finer points thereof that is. Cars are an addition to, not a replacement for, walking. Smell the air!


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 14

Miztres

Definately the writings of a confirmed pedestrian.

Don't forget to never try crossing a road from between parked cars, drivers may not see you.


Pedestrian etiquette

Post 15

Captain_clerk_birralee

Thanks Miz. Considering it is one of the oldest skills we have, walking makes an interesting subject for discussion. I look forward to hearing/seeing/reading more.
P.S. where does the term 'jaywalker' come from?


Key: Complain about this post