A Conversation for Nose Bleeds

Argument

Post 1

I'm not really here

When I was a teenager I suffered from a lot of nosebleeds. There used to just start for no reason as I was walking about.
I was taught a totally different way to stop them.

Pinch the bone about 2mm below where the eyes meet between thumb and whatever finger feels most comfortable. Pinch fairly hard (it doesn't really hurt), and tilt your head slightly forward. This doesn't stop you breathing through your nose, and seals off the blood vessels at the top. The bleeding should stop fairly quickly and when you release your nose it doesn't pull apart any clot that might have formed.

I never had any problem stopping nosebleeds on my own and never had to go to the hospital for treatment.
Luckily I grew out of nosebleeds.


Argument

Post 2

Munchkin

Ah, I look forward to the day I grow out of them. They are mostly only brought on by excesive sneezing/blowing off the nose. As I tend to get well bunged up with colds AND hayfever this leaves a two week gap in October when I am mildly surprised if one happens. You do get to sound all macho as you bleed profusely, yet act all relaxed, which is nice, if expensive in shirts, shoes etc. They can also be good for the sympathy vote I find.


Argument

Post 3

I'm not really here

And for getting out of lessons.


Argument

Post 4

wednesday

I've been cauterized again - the nice thing now is that I bleed to the back of the nose so it doesn't tend to drip/stream all over me - worst times are winter - one every day or if I'm lucky twice! Incidentally I read a "cure" for the hayfever was to have a teaspoon of honey everyday to build up your immune system as honey is obviously made from pollen.


Argument

Post 5

I'm not really here

I was told to drink honey with boiled milk for my hayfever, trouble is, I think that it is allergy to something else, not pollen.
that's a lot of nosebleeds, I used to get one or two a week.


Argument

Post 6

JT

I used to get one every morning in the shower when I was a teenager...


But on another note, what about lying down durring the treatment as mentioned in the article? this doesn't really help the healing, but can stop the blood from running down your chest. It runs down your throat instead.


Argument

Post 7

BobTheFarmer

You've just made me remember punching myself in the face to make my nose bleed to get out of a French test...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more