We French speakers, we ask permission for:

0 Conversations

Having the right to submit french entries

Message for the Editors

French figures

"h2g2 is an unconventional guide to life, the universe and everything, an encyclopaedic project where entries are written by people from all over the world. h2g2 was launched in April 1999, and the BBC took over the running of the site in February 2001 as part of our drive to develop new and innovative online services."



We are now in 2008, the guide is near his tenth birthday and still, the only language used is english. Our evil Nemesis, wikipedia, was launched two years after the Guide (january 2001) in english and in french two months later (march 2001).



We know that those two platforms don't work on the same bases, wikipedia is a free encyclopedia that anyone can edit, so the editors can be anywhere and anyone.

h2g2 can only have a certain amounts of editors since they are paided to do the job (great job anyway!).



So, here is the deal, we propose to create a committee of at least 3,4 french members (native speaking or advance level of speaking) to stop any entry which would break the house rule.

We also propose to use the same committee to correct any mistakes that is seen through the entry.



However, we do not want to have the threat allowed to be french speaking (we wish that, but maybe far later...), we only want to have a visibility, try to bring more people into the guide (the people who speaks a bit less english) and be able to write entries without saying to ourselves: "uh-oh! I think my entry will never be publish: it seems good, but people are bored trying to correct it"1


The committee is not yet formed, but we would like you to consider re-writing the house rule about english entry only to allow french entries (but not conversation!)

Here is the rule:

Postings or entries containing languages other than English may be removed.

Because we have to ensure we understand a Posting or Guide Entry in case of problems, languages other than English may have to be removed. It's also polite when posting to a Conversation to stick to the same language as the other Postings in that Conversation; posting something in a different language halfway through is not very constructive.



We thanks you a lot for the time you use for our proposal.

Concorde

And (For Everybody)


We are proposing to the Editors (we don't have done this yet...) to create a committee of at least 3,4 french members (native speaking or advance level of speaking) to stop any entry which would break the house rule.

We also propose to use the same committee to correct any mistakes that is seen through the entry.
Support us: If you don't think you are able to correct or understanding a french entry, you can always support us by sending a little: "I support you" on the conversation list.
Being in the committee: But if you have a good level of french, enough to spot common mistakes (and less common), pressing "Yikes" whenever you see something particularly offending ; please join us in the committee section by writing in the conversation list below: "I want to join the committee!"
I would like to anyone brave enough to do so that they will have the responsability to check with 2 or 3 other people every french entry submitted (not a lot I think, but if you only connect to h2g2 once every 3 months, maybe it is better for you not to join).

So make your choice, thanks for having the patience to read it all.

Sincerly yours,
4me-2meDrapeau du Québec (The province of Quebec flag)

Please sign below (with your U-number) to be in the committee or a supporter of our cause.


Please read carefully what it meant to be in the committee!
Committee so far:4me-2meSupporters so far:4me-2me
1see A38555319...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A41003173

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more