A Conversation for Secrets of Longevity

Don't eat chemicals

Post 1

Pheroneous

Avoid if you can the ingestion of man-made chemicals, especially those contained within processed foods.

Advice dispensed, the point is not made strongly enough here....If you do take all the advice to heart and avoid all the things you are supposed to avoid you may, it is true, live longer, but why, for heavens sake, why? What would be the point?

If you worry so much about these things, isn't that in itself (worrying) life-shortening?

And whats all this about eating less than you need...how? pray tell, how?


Don't eat chemicals

Post 2

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

That was exactly the point I tried to make when I gave them my list of rules, and I intended it to sound harsh and foolish. But then they added some sensible things to the list, and it killed the point.

For my own benefit, I have no intention of giving up meat, or avoiding all concerts and ballgames just because someone there might light up a cigarette. I would say I have no intention of giving up sex, but I think it has already given up on me. smiley - winkeye


Don't eat chemicals

Post 3

The Unmentionable Marauding Pillowcase

Why? You ask why? Because it's there, that's why! Seriously, though, I do actually follow that advice. I eat almost no "processed" foods: mostly fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grains - in fact, anything you can find on a farm or make yourself without any need for a factory. My reasons: first, to me it tastes better. Second, it makes me feel better. So basically I don't worry at all. I have lots of energy, my body and brain work at peak performance, my experiences are sharper and more intense - in short I live like I want to live. I don't avoid every kind of pleasant food: I eat meat and eggs and cheese, I eat when I want and as much as I want. The main things I avoid are these: caffeine, sugar, white flour, alcohol, tobacco. No person needs any of those things, but many become dependent on them to a lesser or greater degree. Well I just refuse to have any. That's very easy. Nowhere does worrying get into the equation. And I don't miss those things for a second. I don't expect to live forever, but I know that my own habits can help or harm the present quality of my life.

As far as eating less than you need is concerned - that doesn't sound very meaningful to me. Either you need a certain amount, or you don't. How can you need to take in less than you need? I think the reply to your reply sums it up well. No need to take all of this too seriously.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more