A Conversation for Time Travel - the Possibilities and Consequences

On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 1

Brother Andúril - Guardian

I do not see how a paradox could split a universe into two seperate entities where both histories exist.

Through my research into Multiverse physics, a universe can only be created through collissions of two existing universes, allowing for the creation of the 11 spaciotemporal dimentions through which the universe exists.

However, this theory cannot be true in its entirity, because if universes can only be created through collissions, then how did the first universe in the multiverse get itself created without other universes to collide to create it?

Also, 11th dimentional physics does assume that light can exist within hyperspace, because the whole concept of 'first' does assume a time, and without a concept of light then it cannot be possible to have time. Hyperspace, because of its nature, has no dimentions, and therefore, has no time, and due to this, there is no concept of creation without two seperate temporal dimentions through collission. Therefore, this theory is paradoxical in its nature, unless you accept the principle of a creator God.

In short. You cannot create two seperate things from one through a paradox. If a paradox occurs. Then the universe, as Douglas Adams so aptly put it, would "disappear in a puff of logic".


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 2

baadmonkey - the little hand says its time to rock and roll...

I want you to close your eyes, and open them in ten seconds. Ready? Go.

That bit just now, there was no light but time passed. It is only possible to make statements about things that you personally have experienced, or at least believe that you have experienced. Therefore it is a theory that a universe can only come about through the collision of two other universes. Be wary of making assumptions about these things. To assume, makes an ass out of u and me.


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 3

PhysicsMan (11 - 3 + 29 + 5 = 42)

Actually, I agree with Anduril's concept that time cannot exist without light. Of course, it's also axiomatic that time cannot exist without space. So, if we want our hyperuniverse to have time (in the sense that one universe can be said to be "before" another), then it must also have space, and presumably, matter and energy. Personally, I don't like the concept that a hyperuniverse should have all the properties of a regular universe, but if we grant it some of these properties, the rest are necessary. This forces me to rethink whether one universe can "create" another, because that would imply time...

Also, I'm not sure why you think universes can only be created by collisions of other universes. Could you explain this concept further?


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 4

Brother Andúril - Guardian

Well, due to the fact that universes drift in the multiverse, they either move towards eachother or away from eachother. The theory is (and I strees that it is only a theory), that universes colliding would displace energy, as energy cannot be destroyed. Now as we have found no evidence in our own universe for energy appearing out of no-where, we must therefore assume that the engery is displaced in a different way. One of the ways in which it might be displaced would be in the creation of a universe.


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 5

PhysicsMan (11 - 3 + 29 + 5 = 42)

Personally, I'm not sure that universes can interact with one another within the multiverse. I don't really visualize it as a bunch of dots bouncing off of one another; rather, I look at it more as a theoretical set of all possible universes, without having any easily understood physical counterpart. But I guess there's really no reason to believe one such theory over another.


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 6

Brother Andúril - Guardian

Yet surely one should research into each of the theories and come to some conclusion, at least for themselves, whether they would agree, or disagree with any of them?


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 7

feeblewizard

Dear fellow space geeks and virgins,
I just wished to enquire on the nature of your 'universe being born theory.' I had formally thought that as two universes collide, or two 'brains' collide, a new universe is not created, but a nw universe is born. What i mean is, it was used not a theory for time travel, but as a plausable theory for the big bang.
Also, it seems that your 'all universes being the same' theory is flawed. It has been sugested that as the universes begin, all laws and boundries of a universe are set in the first nanoseconds of its birth. These laws are special and set for that universe, and supposing that the brain thory is right, the universes must collide in different ways at different times (even though time is irrelevant) so how can all universes be the same.
Please bear with me, im learning
Feeble


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 8

Brother Andúril - Guardian

Im not sure I understand your question. I never said that all universes would be the same, I merely said they would all have the same spacio-temporal makeup, of the 11 dimentions.


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 9

feeblewizard

Andruil,
Looking back i can see that you do have a point, and i did not wish to cause offense, although the theory of the 11 dimensions has been lingering for a fairly long time, i am still new to it. However i was puzzled by you statement about the 'displacement' of energy from a universe,(as stated in post 4) in the creation of a new one. Although it seems possible, it also seems logically impossible. One thing that seems to have been overlooked, it the sheer magnitude of a universe, and how big a universe is before you reach the pevervial 'skin' of a universe.
It is even possible that two universes could over lapp, and co-exist without smashing each other to smitherines. Because e=mc2, thus, it should take the energy of a universe to create the mass of a new one. So although it may be possible that a new universe is created, it seems that it is at the expense of its creators.


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 10

Brother Andúril - Guardian

Well, I would disagree with that, because a big bang would happen from a certain bit of space in the two neighbouring universes right? And if this is true then surely the energy could not be taken from other parts of the membrane if only a few parts of it are colliding with another membrane. I would say that the enery of two colliding branes would be enough to create a big bang. As well as this, a universe grows, and does not need to be created the same size as its parent universes. This is why the big bang theory works for this. Finally, how can universes "drift" through eachother if they have individual spaciotemperol dimentions? Surely they would act more like matter than waves?


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 11

AlexK the Twelve of Motion

Here is what I don't get, if any of you guys are even here anymore. If two universes collide why wouldn't anything need to be displaced at all? Wouldn't it go about like any other collision? An explosion of heat and light would neatly take care of the conservation matter. Or are you saying that the two colliding universes would actually become 1 new one? Could you go more into depth on this?


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 12

Brother Andúril - Guardian

No, we arn't saying they merge. The idea is that when two spacio-temporal entities collie with eachother, they then create new space-time continui which grows in its own big bang. This makes up for the lost energy that is created when two universes collide. This new universe has its own existence and exists seperately from the two 'parent' universes.


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 13

PervasiveAndNowhere

I have a question.

Where exactly does one universe begin and another end if it's all made of the same energy?


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 14

Brother Andúril - Guardian

Erm... You can't talk about 'where' in the normal sense of the word when talking about universes. A universe is made up of space. The bubbles in an ocean analogy is actually a very simplified way of looking at the transdimentional nature of the multiverse. The best way to think about it is probably to say one universe comes into contact with another universe in some sort of metaphorical but very real sense. Dont ask me what it looks like.

You could think of it this way. There are two states of correlation between the universes, in contact and not in contact. The distance between these points can be drawn as a circle. However, the distance is measured as a straight line. At one point it is in contact, at another it is not. There are other points in between too.

Think of it like this. On the circle there is a line, on the one edge of the line there is collission, on the other edge there is no collission. The point of relation can be anywhere around the circle, and will be constantly changing all the time. However, there is no telling when the direction of this point will shift, as each universe is interrelated in this way. Becuase of this, the direction the point can change at any moment.

At some point, the point will hit an edge, and there will either be collission or no collission. This can only be based on temporality relative to that particular universe, as its impossible to talk about causation irrelative to a temporal existence. Indeed, if you look at any of this stuff you need to let your brain take a U turn at reality to have any understanding.

I hope I have added some more calrity, or at least complicated the simplicity in such a way that it appears more clear.


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 15

lord_of_insanity and master of all things gone wrong

I read a theory that said there are multiple parallel universes. It also said that all the universes are exactly the same to the time, people, and choices. But i think maybe the other universes are ahead of ours. Also we have a physic connection with our parallel selves. That is why we have ESP. Because our other selves have experienced it and we got a mental message of what will come. The problem with that is that if we see it in advance and change it then the universes are not parallel anymore. Right? SWo what if the universes aren't parallel, just similiar. Then somethings would be the same but not everything. If thats the case, that might be why not everyone has ESP. We only get ESP visions when the two parallel universes get similiar enough at times. Any thoughts?


On the nature of the Multiverse

Post 16

Brother Andúril - Guardian

Okay I don't quite understand what your on about...

Are you suggesting that we are in some way linked to our 'alter selves', and they can tell us stuff about the future?

Okay firstly, the only link that could possibly exist would be through the fact that electrons in our universe exist simultaneously in other universes. The problem is that they are linked infini-spaciallly but only relativly temporally. Because time and space are linked by spacio-temporal and causal motion the this somewhat tentative link can only be upheld when the causal relationship is upheld. Indeed, the theory of quantum consequence seems to assume a static relativity between the spacio-temporal seemingly anti-real existence of the related electons of either universe, mainly because they are actually the same electron occupying different dimential systems of each said universe. Thus we cannot account for such things as ESP on such a link, as they are just in the dark as we are.


Key: Complain about this post