A Conversation for George Orwell - Author

That rude words chapter

Post 1

Dan

Does anyone know if 'Down and Out in Paris and London' is still published with the chapter about the evolution of slang? I'm sure I read that when it was first published the actual words Orwell used were too rude to print so the chapter had lines like, "Twenty years ago ____ was in common use, but now it has been largely replaced with ____."

And then, when times changed and it became possible to print more than "____", the original manuscript had been lost. But this might be an urban myth.


That rude words chapter

Post 2

Borodino

Yes, I think it is. I bought a copy in 1996 that was still 'bleeped'. I think they do it so that it remains faithful to the original printing. And the publishers might fill in the wrong rude word. It's really strange when you first see it, though.


That rude words chapter

Post 3

Garth Vader

Same here. Got a recent book from a local library.


That rude words chapter

Post 4

prisner_ofthe_systm

...it doesn't matter though, the BBC mod's would edit it anyway.

LoL! Orwell worked for the BBC as a propagandist, coincidence?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more